This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5397 / 50°32'23"N
Longitude: -3.7011 / 3°42'4"W
OS Eastings: 279551
OS Northings: 72487
OS Grid: SX795724
Mapcode National: GBR QL.DGVG
Mapcode Global: FRA 374M.V7Z
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85231
Location: Bickington, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Bickington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BICKINGTON LOVE LANE (north side)
SX 77 SE Bickington
7/33 Manor House
Formerly known as Peacehaven.
House, formerly a farmhouse. Late C16, with additions at the rear. Solid
roughcast walls, probably of stone. Asbestos-slated roof, hipped at left-hand end.
In centre of front wall a large projecting chimneystack with offsets, thatch
weatherings and tapered top, the latter with a small added shaft of C20; small
semi-circular oven projection at base of stack. In right-hand gable is a
projecting stone stack with offsets and weatherings; slightly tapered and with a
projecting stone course as a cap, above which is a short C20 added shaft. 3-room
and through-passage plan with rectangular stair turret in centre of rear wall;
there seems to have been a heated parlour by C17. A C20 bow window has replaced
the original rear door of the through-passage. Behind the parlour (to right) is a
lean-to, probably added, of some antiquity. 2 storeys, lean-to and C20 additions
single-storeyed. 4-window front; windows have C19 or C20 wood casements with
glazing bars. The right-hand window in each storey has a segmental arch,
suggesting that the front wall may have been rebuilt at this end. To right of
projecting stack in front wall, and built out level with it, is an "oriel" at the
upper end of the hall, this having in its side-wall a slit window with thick wood
frame, the head of which is pointed. The doorway, to left of stack, has an ovolo-
moulded wood lintel with run-out stops. Door frame is straight-headed with ovolo
and hollow mouldings and has large worn stops at the foot. Plank door with studs
and wrought-iron strap-hinges having fleurs-de-lis terminals; vertical moulded ribs
with matching strip along top of door, right-hand rib and bottom strip missing.
Open fronted porch with pent roof. Left-hand gable-wall has C20 French windows in
ground storey; C19 wood casement window with glazing-bars to left of second storey.
In rear wall in second storey a 2-light ovolo-moulded wood window.
Interior: through-passage has stud-and-panel screen to right; studs chamfered and
with scratch mouldings. Hall fireplace (in front wall) has wood lintel with a very
broad ogee and ovolo moulding and bar stops; splayed granite ashlar sides, oven
with round-headed granite opening and shallow ledge in front. Central upper-floor
beam and half-beam at upper end have ovolo and hollow mouldings with run-out stops.
Heavy oak bench against upper-end wall with piece of late C16 or early C17
panelling 2 panels high, finished with moulded frieze and bracketed cornice, above
it; panelling extends into the oriel beside fireplace, which has a heavy oak
window-seat. Parlour has gable-fireplace with chamfered wood lintel having scroll-
stops. The lower room, to left of through-passage, has fireplace in rear wall with
carved wood lintel said to have been brought from Plymouth; it bears the date 1654
and initials T
Newel stair at rear of hall has old winding steps, the lowest one a solid block.
Plank door from hall has 2 sunk panels with moulded frames in centre, wrought-iron
strap-hinges; chamfered, square-headed door-frame with rounded step-stops. At the
top a pair of similar door-frames with common lintel. Upper storey probably had 4
rooms originally. Stud partition, probably original, nailed to truss above lower
side of through-passage. At upper end, gable-fireplace with rounded back and base
of slates on edge; chamfered wood lintel with scroll-stops. Old plank door with
narrow centre panel having bead-moulded edges; wrought-iron strap-hinges. Roof-
timbers are unblackened. Principal rafters have notched apexes, threaded purlins
and slots for threaded ridge-piece; cranked collars with shaped ends halved into
the principals. Some of the principals have short, vertical tenoned struts at
their feet, against the wall-face. Most of the common rafters have been replaced.
There are references of 1563 and 1577 to "the manor or lordship" of Lovelane, but
although this house was probably built for a gentleman there is as yet no proof
that he was also lord of the manor (J.C. Tingey, Calendar of Deeds Enrolled within
the County of Devon, typescript in Westcountry Studies Library, Exeter, 1930, Nos.
642 and 1108).
In a barn at rear of house (not separately listed) is a 2-light wooden window with
flat-splay mullions; hole for upright glazing-bar in centre of each light.
Listing NGR: SX7955172487
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings