This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.661 / 50°39'39"N
Longitude: -3.7638 / 3°45'49"W
OS Eastings: 275432
OS Northings: 86080
OS Grid: SX754860
Mapcode National: GBR QG.KQSY
Mapcode Global: FRA 370B.7HZ
Entry Name: The Chimes
Listing Date: 4 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85086
Location: Moretonhampstead, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Moretonhampstead
Built-Up Area: Moretonhampstead
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Moretonhampstead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MORETONHAMPSTEAD FORE STREET (south side),
8/153 No. 18 The Chimes
House, originally the police house before police station opposite was built in
Circa 1845, probably soon after the 1845 fire in Fore Street. Stuccoed, probably
granite rubble. Pyramidal slate roof bitumen coated and with lead rolls to hips.
Deep eaves with boarded soffits, moulded cornice and moulded cast iron gutter. 2
chimney stacks with rendered shafts, one rising from rear of left-hand roof slope
and the other on right-hand of rear slope.
Double depth plan with 2 principal front rooms, one on either side of central lobby
entrance formed by stairs in central passage and smaller rear rooms in overall
square plan. The left-hand front room was probably the police station leading to a
small cell in room behind. The right-hand front room was a livingroom with a
kitchen behind. Above the ground storey cell there is another cell.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay north front. Original 12-pane sashes in deep
reveals, centre first floor narrow window opening with C19 8-pane casement.
Central doorway with round-headed opening with plain wide raised architrave, semi-
circular fanlight with spiders-web glazing bars, the round central pane has stained
glass. Original 4-panel door with flush bottom panels.
Left (east) return side: 1 original 12-pane sash on each floor to right lighting
front rooms; left-hand wall unfenestrated.
Rear (south) elevation: asymmetrical fenestration, first floor with 2 original 9-
pane sashes and small 2-pane pivot window (former cell window) to right. Ground
floor: top opening light window (enlarged former cell window) to right, original
small 19-pane sash to left of centre, and plank door to left with small 2-pane
pivot window above to left. The west side is unfenestrated and abuts No. 16
Interior: the plan is intact and it retains most of the original features including
panelled doors, straight stairs with simple balustrade at top with stick balusters.
The ground floor cell has a stone slab ceiling and the first floor cell retains its
heavy door and barred opening. The fireplaces in the front rooms have been opened
up recently (1985) and C20 chimneypieces installed. The rear kitchen fireplace
This is an almost entirely complete mid C19 police house.
Listing NGR: SX7543286076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings