This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6606 / 50°39'38"N
Longitude: -3.7638 / 3°45'49"W
OS Eastings: 275429
OS Northings: 86037
OS Grid: SX754860
Mapcode National: GBR QG.KQT2
Mapcode Global: FRA 370B.7J4
Entry Name: Former Wesleyan Chapel
Listing Date: 4 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85049
Location: Moretonhampstead, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Moretonhampstead
Built-Up Area: Moretonhampstead
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Moretonhampstead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MORETONHAMPSTEAD CROSS STREET (south side)
8/114 Former Wesleyan Chapel
Wesleyan chapel now in use as an annexe to No. 26 (q.v.)
Dated 1817, rebuilt or extensively repaired after a fire in 1866. Closed in 1976.
Granite rubble, faced in stucco with incised lining to resemble ashlar. Asbestos
slate roof with gabled ends and fairly deep eaves. Corners of eaves supported on
small shaped wooden brackets.
Plan: a rectangular auditorium parallel to road on an east-west axis with a gallery
over the entrance and passageway at the east (left) end. The entrance to the
chapel is reached via the passageway which gives access to a cottage and former
Sunday School at rear.
Single storey plus gallery. The north side is the main front facing Cross Street
and has 4 tall round-headed windows with stone cills, 2 top-opening lights and
glazing bars with margin panes containing stained glass. Under the eaves near
centre is a plaque engraved "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1817" in upper case with
serifs and Arabic numerals. The left round-headed entrance to passageway, through
to rear, with ornate wrought iron gates at front and glazed and panelled double
doors at rear with margin panes. Inside passage to right, glazed double doors to
Interior: the west end, liturgical east, has large pointed arch recess with nook
shafts. The timber gallery has gothick panelled front. The rest of the
furnishings and seating has been removed. The low-pitched roof is probably circa
1866, and has principal rafters with iron tie rods instead of collars.
This non-conformist chapel is interesting for the way it overcomes a very
constricted site by having the gallery over the passageway which gives access to
buildings at the rear. Its conspicuous front with large arched windows is an
important feature in Cross Street.
Source: C Stell's draft for RCHM book on non-conformist chapels.
Listing NGR: SX7543286035
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings