This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6603 / 50°39'37"N
Longitude: -3.7624 / 3°45'44"W
OS Eastings: 275526
OS Northings: 85995
OS Grid: SX755859
Mapcode National: GBR QG.KR5G
Mapcode Global: FRA 370B.821
Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel
Listing Date: 4 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85055
Location: Moretonhampstead, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Moretonhampstead
Built-Up Area: Moretonhampstead
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Moretonhampstead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MORETONHAMPSTEAD CROSS STREET (south side),
9/121 Unitarian Chapel
Unitarian, formerly Presbyterian chapel. Dated 1802. Rendered rubble probably
granite. Slate hipped roof with lead rolls to hips and slight overhang at eaves.
Rectangular single cell plan with entrance on north front under the gallery. The
north front has plain corner pilasters with round-headed panels. Central doorway
with blind boarded segmental fanlight with segmentally arched canopy and C20 nail-
studded door with cover moulds and wrought iron hinges. Flanked by segmental-
headed windows each with original cross mullion-transom frames and leaded panes.
Above the door a small recessed tablet inscribed "G.W./ERECTED/1802", with hood
mould over. Above the tablet a large round-headed window with original frame with
radial bars in tympanum. 2 similar, but taller, windows on either east and west
side and on the opposite south side where the cills are at lower level. The south
windows have had frames replaced later in C19 with stained glass.
Interior not inspected but according to Stell: "The interior has a flat plaster
ceiling with a moulded cornice. The north gallery has a panelled front with
concave central section, supported by 3 turned-wood columns perhaps reused from the
earlier building; the centre of the front is painted with the name Yaweh in Hebrew
characters". Plain high-backed pews in gallery.
Fittings: pair of brass early C19 6-branch chandeliers. Parliament clock from
Bowden Hill Chapel, Crediton. East and west windows have red glass borders and
sunburst above centre light, early C19. In north window on west side a small panel
depicting Christ at the Last Supper.
Monument in chapel to Rev. John Smethurst, 1859, 42 years minister, "who for nearly
the same space of time was also minister of the Unitarian Baptists in this town".
The Presbyterian congregation possibly originated in 1662 when Robert Woolcombe
became the first minister. In 1687 a house was converted for use of the meeting.
About 1692 a new meetinghouse was built on this site and enlarged in 1718. But it
became unsafe and was replaced by the existing chapel in 1802. A fragment of the
former building survives as part of the boundary wall (q.v.) to the north-west of
the burial ground. Since 1818 the Presbyterians have shared their pastor with the
Baptists and support a Unitarian ministry.
Source: C Stell's draft for RCHM book on non-conformist chapels.
Listing NGR: SX7552685992
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings