This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6604 / 50°39'37"N
Longitude: -3.7625 / 3°45'44"W
OS Eastings: 275524
OS Northings: 86010
OS Grid: SX755860
Mapcode National: GBR QG.KR5F
Mapcode Global: FRA 370B.80W
Entry Name: Railings Gates Gate Piers and Section of Boundary Wall on North Side of Burial Ground of Unitarian Chapel Including Lamp Standard to North East
Listing Date: 4 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147042
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85056
Location: Moretonhampstead, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Moretonhampstead
Built-Up Area: Moretonhampstead
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Moretonhampstead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MORETONHAMPSTEAD CROSS STREET (south side),
8/122 Railings, gates, gate-piers and
- section of boundary wall on north
side of burial ground of
Unitarian Chapel including lamp
standard to north-east
Non-conformist burial ground boundary railings and entrance gates and section of
boundary wall including an adjacent lamp standard.
Circa mid to late C19 railings and lamp standard, and circa late C17 to early C18
fragment in C19 boundary wall.
Iron railings with spearhead shafts, the alternate shafts reach only the low middle
rail but also have spearheads. Cast iron stanchions and gate-pier, octagonal with
moulded finials. Set in granite ashlar plinth.
Stone rubble wall to right (west) acts as boundary wall to burial ground and parts
of this wall are all that remain of the 1692 meetinghouse which was enlarged in
1718, but became unsafe and was replaced by the existing chapel in 1802. The wall
is approximately 2i metres high.
The lamp standard to the left (east) is cast iron with panelled pedestal, tapered
fluted shaft and moulded and fluted ladder bars and with wrought iron lamp-holder
Source: C Stell's draft for RCHM book on non-conformist chapels.
Listing NGR: SX7552386006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings