This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4892 / 50°29'21"N
Longitude: -3.6385 / 3°38'18"W
OS Eastings: 283865
OS Northings: 66768
OS Grid: SX838667
Mapcode National: GBR QQ.2LWM
Mapcode Global: FRA 378R.VPZ
Entry Name: Penrae
Listing Date: 17 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84838
Location: Ipplepen, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Ipplepen
Built-Up Area: Ipplepen
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ipplepen with Torbryan
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8366 IPPLEPEN EAST STREET (south side), Ipplepen
House, formerly farmhouse. Probably C17 with circa early C18 wing. Remodelled
internally in C19. Rendered rubble walls. Gable ended thatched roof. 3 rendered
rubble stacks, one at left gable end of main block and to wing gable, one lateral
slightly projecting stack at front. Inserted rendered brick stack at left gable end
of main block.
Originally 3-room and through passage plan, lower end to the right with lateral
stack to front of hall and heated lower room with gable end fireplace. Circa early
C18 wing of 1 heated room added at rear of inner room. In circa early C19 the hall,
passage and lower room were remodelled, and a staircase inserted into the passage.
A stack was added to the lower room and it was turned into a parlour; the wing and
inner room became the service end. In late C20 front passage door blocked.
2 storeys. House turned round in C19 so that it was entered from the rear and this
side has a 3-window facade of early C20 2-light casements with glazing bars. C20
part glazed door to left of centre leads to passage. Circa early C18 wing projects
from the right end.
Interior : few original features visible in main block due to C19 remodelling.
Hall has open fireplace with roughly chamfered, probably replacement lintel. In the
first floor chamber of the wing is some decorative plasterwork on the gable end wall
with the initials WM 1704 R (which is anomolous since William was no longer King in
1704). Below this inscription is a lion, and below that are three small pelicans.
Above it are 3 floral plaques. To the right and left of this are blocked window
openings and a similar one on the side wall to the left which were all originally
decorated above with a round flower either side of a larger floral plaque. The
plasterwork above the left and right-hand windows has been damaged and is not
intact. There are fairly substantial straight principals at this end but no roof
access. Despite an apparent lack of early internal features this house preserves a
relatively traditional exterior and the form of its plasterwork adds considerably to
Listing NGR: SX8386566768
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings