History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salem Chapel Including Forecourt Walls, Railings, Gate Piers, Gates and Chest Tomb to Edward Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Broadhempston, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4838 / 50°29'1"N

Longitude: -3.6866 / 3°41'11"W

OS Eastings: 280442

OS Northings: 66245

OS Grid: SX804662

Mapcode National: GBR QM.PSPN

Mapcode Global: FRA 375S.7LR

Entry Name: Salem Chapel Including Forecourt Walls, Railings, Gate Piers, Gates and Chest Tomb to Edward Park

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097301

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84783

Location: Broadhempston, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Broadhempston

Built-Up Area: Broadhempston

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Broadhempston St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Broadhempston

Listing Text

SX 86 NW BROADHEMPSTON BROADHEMPSTON
2/79 Salem Chapel including forecourt
walls, railings, gate piers, gates
23.8.55 and chest tomb to Edward Park.
GV II
Salem Chapel. Dated 1844. Rubble walls with larger dressed quoins and dressed
voussoir stones to window and door lintels. Hipped slate roof.
Single room plan with gallery at entrance end.
Single storey. Has symmetrical end facing road. Central doorway with original
panelled double doors behind Doric porch with moulded cornice, pillars at the front
and pilasters at the back. above the porch is a tablet inscribed with "Salem Chapel
1844". Original 16-pane hornless sash window above. On the left-hand side of the
chapel are 4 identical windows in 2 rows, symmetrically placed. The opposite side
wall has 2 identical windows at first floor level.
Interior: contains original panelled gallery.
To include forecourt in front of chapel containing 4 graves, including chest tomb
for Edward Palk who built the chapel and died in 1857. At front of forecourt is low
wall with iron railings on the top and at the centre 2 square gate piers in ashlar,
with chamfered coping stones and projecting bases.


Listing NGR: SX8044266245

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.