This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5382 / 50°32'17"N
Longitude: -3.6081 / 3°36'29"W
OS Eastings: 286141
OS Northings: 72176
OS Grid: SX861721
Mapcode National: GBR QR.5GPJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 37BM.VKP
Entry Name: Lock at Jetty Marsh
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84657
Location: Teigngrace, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Teigngrace
Built-Up Area: Newton Abbot
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Teigngrace St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 87 SW
7/214 Lock at Jetty Marsh
Canal entrance look on the disused Stover Canal. Dated 1824 for George Templer of
Stover Park House (q.v.) This lock and the 2 other stone locks q.v. in Teigngrace
Parish were replacements for the original timber clad clay locks of the canal which
was built by James Templer in 1790 to 1792; the engineer was Thomas Gray of
Exeter. The entry lock at the south end of the lock basin is granite ashlar with
splayed entrance, the west side has a stone inscribed:- GEO. TEMPLER ESQR. 1824.
Revetment walls recessed either side for lock gates which are later replacements.
The large lock basin has wooden boarded earth sides, the east side later rebuilt in
brick with 4 cast iron bollards. The inner lock at north end of basin is also
granite ashlar but has been partly filled in with C20 bridge and circa 1866 railway
track of the South Devon Railway Companies' Newton Abbot to Moretonhampstead line.
The Stover Canal was nearly 2 miles long and joined the River Teign here at Jetty
Marsh near Newton Abbot, where the barges passed through the dredged Whitelake
Channel to the estuary of the River Teign. The canal was a private venture and
built to transport ball clay to the Staffordshire Potteries and later to transport
Haytor granite after the Haytor granite tramway had been built in 1820.
Reference: Charles Hadfield, The Canals of South West England, pp. 118 to 122.
Listing NGR: SX8614172176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings