This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6619 / 50°39'42"N
Longitude: -3.2965 / 3°17'47"W
OS Eastings: 308462
OS Northings: 85494
OS Grid: SY084854
Mapcode National: GBR P7.73C1
Mapcode Global: FRA 37ZB.9KS
Entry Name: Rydon Farmhouse and Rydon Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86397
Location: Otterton, East Devon, Devon, EX9
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Otterton
Built-Up Area: Otterton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Otterton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
OTTERTON OTTERY ROAD, Otterton
7/196 Rydon Farmhouse and Rydon
2 houses occupying a former farmhouse. Probably C16 and C17, a datestone records
modernisation of 1707, renovated and divided into 2 houses in 1986. Plastered cob on
stone rubble footings, parts rebuilt or extended with C19 and C20 brick; mostly
stone rubble stacks topped with brick; thatch roof.
Since an internal inspection was not possible at the time of the survey it is
difficult to assess the layout and development of the house. The main block faces
south-east onto Ottery Road with rear blocks projecting at right angles from each
end. The oldest part is the main block and it has a 3-room-and-through-passage plan
house. However it seems there are 2 service rooms left (south-west) of the passage
with an axial stack between and the hall is at the right end with a projecting front
lateral stack and a parlour block projects at right angles to rear. Rydon Farmhouse
occupies the rear parlour end block, hall, passage and first service end room.
Rydon Cottage occupies the second service and room of the main block and the C19 and
C20 brick 2-room plan rear block at right angles behind. 2 storeys throughout.
Irregular 4-window front of C19 and C20 casements mostly with glazing bars. The
oldest are those in the right end bay which contain rectangular panes of leaded glass
and there is another similar in the rear block. The front passage doorway (to Rydon
Farmhouse) is right of centre and contains a C20 plank door with contemporary
monopitch thatch hood. Immediately to right is the hall stack. It is built of the
local brown-coloured conglomerate sandstone with large dressed quoins and limestone
ashlar plinth. The lowest course of the original limestone chimney shaft remains,
the rest rebuilt in brick in 1707 according to a limestone date plaque set in it
which also includes the initials ECL. The main block roof is hipped to right and
gable-ended to left. The left end wall is rebuilt in late C19 brick. The doorway to
Rydon Cottage is in the rear block and dates from 1986 as do the windows there.
Interior. Only Rydon Cottage was available for inspection at the time of survey.
The rear block had been extended and rearranged and all visible features here date
from 1986. The second service end room of the main block has a roughly finished
crossbeam of indeterminate date and a C19 brick fireplace. The roof was
inaccessible but the lower part of a side-pegged jointed cruck roof truss shows
suggesting that C16 or C17 roof also survives over Rydon Farmhouse. The farmhouse is
also said to contain C16 or C17 carpentry detail.
Listing NGR: SY0846285494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings