History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brickhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Starcross, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6187 / 50°37'7"N

Longitude: -3.494 / 3°29'38"W

OS Eastings: 294407

OS Northings: 80950

OS Grid: SX944809

Mapcode National: GBR P2.2XLM

Mapcode Global: FRA 37KF.QLW

Entry Name: Brickhouse

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Last Amended: 2 December 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85866

Location: Starcross, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Starcross

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kenton

Listing Text

KENTON
SX 98 SW

5/196 Brickhouse
(formerly listed as Breckhouse
11.11.52 Farmhouse)

GV
II*


House. Probably late C17, described as an incomplete 'shell'in 1796. Mr Long Esq.,
for whom it was built, died before it was finished (Swete). Derelict in the 1960s and
renovated since. English bond brick on a stone plinth ; red pantile roof, gabled at
ends ; massive brick projecting end stacks with set-offs. Later C19 brick addition
with tiled roof. Artisan mannerist style, extremely unusual for Devon and an
unusually early use of brick in the county.
Plan: Swete's watercolours of 1796 show that there were originally 2 blocks, only one
of which survives. The surviving block was originally 3 storeys, 2 rooms wide, built
into the slope of the land with the principal rooms on the first floor and a first
floor entrance : service rooms on the ground floor. Judging from the roof structure
the house was reduced to 2 storeys in the early C19 and is known to have served as 2
cottages in the C20. The principal stair no longer exists and the newel stair which
gave access from the ground floor services to the piano nobile has been replaced.
The house has been turned round and the original porch to the first floor rooms has
been blocked.
Exterior: Remarkable for its robust decorative brick detail. 2 storeys. Symmetrical
5-bay front (now the rear) with a gabled porch at first floor level with brick
pilasters and a moulded brick cornice above a round-headed doorway with a key block
doorway now blocked and converted to a window. To the left and right are blind
windows, 2 to each side, with projecting brick architraves and moulded brick
cornices. 5-bay front elevation with a C20 verandah on posts with a tiled roof,
screened-in in the centre to form a porch. Ground floor windows with segmental brick
arches and C20 3-light timber casements with glazing bars. First floor windows with
projecting round-headed brick arches with keyblocks and blind panels above the C20 2-
light timber transomed casements. The centre window, lighting the stair, is set
below the others and smaller, although of the same design and is linked to a window
above set in a projecting square brick frame. A brick platband below the eaves (but
originally at second floor level) is linked to the keyblocks of the first floor
window. Single-storey later brick addition at the right end, slightly set back, with
casement windows. The massive stacks retain the remains of a projecting brick string
course.
Interior: Largely modernized. It is not clear whether the piano nobile rooms were
ever completed and fitted up : the ground floor rooms each have a massive chamfered
crossbeam, the left-hand room beam with surviving scroll stops.
Roof: Conventional early C19 king post and strut trusses.
Swete, who illustrated the house with 4 watercolours, refers to the owner, Mr Long
Esq., "who being dissatisfied with his ancient manor at Mowlish and having yielded up
his other seat at Newhouse to Mr Oxenham who had married his daughter ...... began
this edifice for himself, but died ere he saw its completion". Swete does not give
a date for the building but David Long Esq. was sherriff of Devon 1704-1705.

Swete, J, 'Picturesque Sketches of Devon', vol. 11 (1796) pp. 52 and 53. Ms held in
DRO.


Listing NGR: SX9440780950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.