History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

(Spinnaker Cottage and Mary's Cottage Nos 14 and 16)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishopsteignton, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5535 / 50°33'12"N

Longitude: -3.5375 / 3°32'15"W

OS Eastings: 291175

OS Northings: 73769

OS Grid: SX911737

Mapcode National: GBR P1.244B

Mapcode Global: FRA 37GL.RNM

Entry Name: (Spinnaker Cottage and Mary's Cottage Nos 14 and 16)

Listing Date: 2 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097767

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85728

Location: Bishopsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ14

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Bishopsteignton

Built-Up Area: Bishopsteignton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bishopsteignton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bishopsteignton

Listing Text

BISHOPSTEIGNTON RADWAY HILL, Bishopsteignton
SX 9073-9173

13/64 (Spinnaker Cottage and Mary's
Cottage Nos 14 and 16)


GV II


House and adjoining cottage, originally a farmhouse and outbuilding. Probably
mid/late C17, outbuilding converted to cottage before 1820, C18 or C19 addition at
left end at one time a separate cottage. Rendered stone and cob, Spinnaker Cottage
(to the left) whitewashed, Mary's Cottage colourwashed ; thatched roof with a plain
ridge, hipped at left end, gabled at right end ; 2 axial stacks with brick shafts
projcting stone stack at right end with brick shaft.
Plan: The origins of the range appear to be a single depth 2 room plan farmhouse
(Spinnaker Cottage) with a larger heated room to the right, a smaller room to the
left (possibly unheated until the C18) with an entrance into the larger room facing a
C17 stair. The house has been extended to the left by a 1 room plan addition,
probably in the C18 or C19, which formerly functioned as a separate cottage. Mary's
cottage, at the right end, was probably a farmbuilding, converted to a 2 room plan
Cottage before 1820 (information from owner).
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3:2: window front, the roof of Mary's Cottage , to
the right, slightly lower. The early core has an almost symmetrical 2 window front
with a thatched porch to left of centre ; separate doorway at left into former
cottage. C20 2- and 3-light casements with diamond leaded panes. Mary's cottage has
a C20 gabled porch and iron frame casements.
Interior: C17 features to Spinnaker Cottage which has a partly blocked fireplace to
he right hand room with a C17 timber lintel, chamfered step-stopped crossbeam,
exposed joists and an unusual straight stair of solid timber baulks. The centre room
has a probably C18 fireplace with a steeply-cambered lintel. Mary's Cottage has 2
large roughly-chamfered crossbeams and later exposed joists.
Roof: Apex not inspected, straight principal rafters in Spinnaker Cottage suggest a
late C17 or early C18 roof structure.
The only thatched building surviving in the village.


Listing NGR: SX9117573769

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.