This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5528 / 50°33'9"N
Longitude: -3.5393 / 3°32'21"W
OS Eastings: 291045
OS Northings: 73688
OS Grid: SX910736
Mapcode National: GBR P1.29MZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 37GL.YRB
Entry Name: The Community Centre and Museum
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85736
Location: Bishopsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ14
Civil Parish: Bishopsteignton
Built-Up Area: Bishopsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishopsteignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9073-9173 BISHOPSTEIGNTON SHUTE HILL (west side),
13/72 The Community Centre and Museum
Village School and master's house, converted to community centre and museum. School
master's house probably C18, 3 classrooms dated 1850, 1876 and 1923 respectively.
Colourwashed and plastered, house said to be cob, classrooms stone ; slate roofs,
gabled at ends, house with brick end stack and bargeboards to the gable.
Plan: A picturesque irregular group on a raised pavement above Shute Hill. The
schoolmaster's house, to the north, is gable on to the street and adjoins the
parallel classroom which is slightly set back to the left (south). The 1876
classroom is further set back to the south with the 1923 block to the rear (west) of
the 1850 building and at right angles to it. The scale and detailing of the 2 later
classrooms is sympathetic to the modest Gothic details of their 1850 predecessor.
Exterior: The schoolmaster's house to the right of the group has 2 casement windows
in the east end wall and a C20 door ; 2 similar windows to the left return. The
1850 classroom has a symmetrical 3-bay front with rusticated quoins and a central
gabled porch with a painted arched outer doorway with a hoodmould with label stops.
4-light timber windows to left and right with high transoms, glazing bars and
hoodmoulds, similar window but with a pointed arched head in the east gable end,
overlooking Shute Hill. The 1878 block with a bellcote has a porch set forward from
and adjoining the east gable end ; ornamental bargeboards to the gable end and porch.
Crank arched window in east gable end with timber glazing bars and a hoodmould, 2
crank arched windows on the south side. The porch has a similar arched doorway with
hoodmould and 1-light windows to each return with hoodmoulds, similar window to
linking block to right of porch. The 1923 classroom is partly concealed behind the
other two and is said to have originated as the stable block to Cross House (q.v.).
It has a corrugated asbestos roof and arched windows with timber glazing bars, no
Interior: The schoolmaster's house retains 2 chamfered crossbeams.
The school was founded by Christopher Colman of Radway in 1726 and built on land
bought by him (old list description).
An attractively-scaled irregular group marking an important contribution to the
Listing NGR: SX9104573688
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings