This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.551 / 50°33'3"N
Longitude: -3.5381 / 3°32'17"W
OS Eastings: 291128
OS Northings: 73488
OS Grid: SX911734
Mapcode National: GBR P1.29ZJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 37GL.ZC7
Plus Code: 9C2RHF26+9Q
Entry Name: Row of 10 Chest Tombs and One Table Tomb Against the South East of Churchyard Wall of the Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85685
Location: Bishopsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ14
Civil Parish: Bishopsteignton
Built-Up Area: Bishopsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishopsteignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BISHOPSTEIGNTON CHURCH ROAD, Bishopsteigton
13/23 Row of 10 chest tombs and one
- table tomb against the south east
churchyard wall of the church of
St John the Baptist
Row of 10 chest tombs and 1 table tomb. Early and mid C19, one early C20. Freestone
A row of high quality chest tombs reflecting the character of Bishopsteignton as a
fashionable early C19 town. The chest tombs have been resited as part of a
churchyard clearance scheme and form an impressive row against the boundary wall of
the churchyard. North to south :
1 . Northernmost. Panelled chest with plinth and corner pilasters. Inscription
commemorates John Livett, died 1818.
2. Similar design with a moulded lid, inscription commemorates Henry Templey,
3. Similar design commemorating Amelia White, died 1844.
4. Similar design, lid broken. Inscription on lid illegible.
5. Sarcophagus with hollow-chamfered plinth and coped lid. Inscription
commemorates Mary Egerton, died 1845.
6. Low, panelled, freestone chest with corner pilasters and moulded lid.
Inscription commemorates Hester King, died 1855.
7. Fine, severe granite sarcophagus with moulded plinth and coped lid :
inscription commemorates John Sadler, died 1901.
8. Freestone sarcophagus with coped lid. Inscription commemorates H.T.Godwin,
KGB, died 1854.
9. Plain freestone chest with corner pilasters. Inscription illegible.
10. Panelled freestone chest. Inscription on lid obscured by headstones.
11. Freestone table tomb on hair claw feet with a moulded table top (evidence of
former railings). Inscription on lid commemorates Henrietta Abbot, died 1851
or 1831 (third numeral indistinct).
Listing NGR: SX9112373491
Other nearby listed buildings