This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5512 / 50°33'4"N
Longitude: -3.5381 / 3°32'17"W
OS Eastings: 291126
OS Northings: 73507
OS Grid: SX911735
Mapcode National: GBR P1.29ZG
Mapcode Global: FRA 37GL.Z9V
Entry Name: Ruins of Chapel North East of the Parish Church
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85694
Location: Bishopsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ14
Civil Parish: Bishopsteignton
Built-Up Area: Bishopsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishopsteignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BISHOPSTEIGNTON CHURCH ROAD, Bishopsteignton
13/32 Ruins of Chapel north east of the
- parish Church
Chapel ruins. Medieval. Stone rubble.
Plan: Stone rubble walls with some pudlock holes, roofless, immediately north east of
the church and partly within the C20 Garden of Rest. The remains of angle buttress
at the south west and north east corners, a straight joint with the north east
churchyard wall and a buttress on the south side indicate the dimensions of the
The chapel is said to be a sanctuary chapel founded about 1350 and dedicated to St
John the Evangelist, falling into disuse in the C16 (Walker).
Walker, N. "Some Parish History of Bishopsteignton : An Account of the Talk Given on
23rd April 1974".
Listing NGR: SX9113173507
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings