This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.665 / 50°39'54"N
Longitude: -3.6766 / 3°40'35"W
OS Eastings: 281601
OS Northings: 86381
OS Grid: SX816863
Mapcode National: GBR QM.BH3S
Mapcode Global: FRA 3759.ZCJ
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas a Becket
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097825
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85565
Location: Bridford, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Bridford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bridford St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 88 NW
2/44 Church of St Thomas A Becket
Parish church. Chancel C14, remainder of church C15 with some early C16 fittings.
Granite rubble and ashlar with slate roof and granite, volcanic and freestone
Plan: West tower, nave, chancel, 4-bay north aisle, south porch, lean-to north-east
Exterior: Rubblestone chancel with a 3-light Decorated east window. The south side
has a buttress with set-offs, a chamfered rounded priest's doorway, a 1-light
cusped C19 Ham Hill window to the left and a medieval Decorated volcanic 2-light
window to the right with a C19 hood mould and a rectangular ashlar granite rood
stair turret. Granite ashlar nave with an unusually large, grand Perpendicular
window to the right of the porch with a granite frame, freestone Perpendicular
tacery and mullions with capitals; smaller 3-light Perpendicular window to left of
porch with granite mullions and freestone tracery. Granite ashlar 4-bay north
aisle with 3-light Perpendicular windows with granite mullions and C19 freestone
tracery; similar east window; 2-light square-headed granite west window with
decayed cusped freestone heads and replaced granite mullions. 3 stage battlemented
granite ashlar tower, the belfry stage rubblestone with corner obelisks and
internal northwest stair turret. Double-chamfered rounded west doorway; 3-light
decorated west window with volcanic tracery and granite mullions; 2-light chamfered
belfry openings on all 4 faces; moulded rectangular opening at bellringers' stage
on south face. Gabled granite ashlar porch with angle buttresses with set-offs;
rounded, moulded granite outer doorway with C19 timber gates and a moulded inner
doorway with a C17 plank and coverstrip door. Unusually refined Perpendicular
boarded wagon roof, boarded behind the ribs to porch: the ribs carved with beaded
ribbons with delicately-carved bosses at the intersections.
Interior: Remarkable early C16 screen and other good fittings. Unplastered walls;
timber chancel arch at junction between nave and chancel roof; plain tower arch;
conventional late C15/early C16 Perpendicular granite north arcade. Probably
Perpendicular ceiled wagon roof to nave and aisle, carved bosses to the nave; C19
keeled boarded wagon to the chancel with moulded ribs. Notable 8-bay rood screen,
said to have once had a 1508 date: the rood loft and coving are missing, but what
survives is richly carved and coloured with unusual lively carved, (rather than
painted) wainscot figures, probably the model for the C17 figures on the Lustleigh
screen. Granite doorframe to rood loft stair, rebated for a door. The pulpit is
formed of similar panels. 4-bay Perpendicular traceried parclose: the parclose and
rear of the rood screen have large demi-figures of a probably C17 date painted on
the wainscot. The chancel has piscina with an ogival chamfered arch, C19 timber
altar rail and an east window, probably by Drake of Exeter with a memorial date of
1872. Fragments of C15 stained glass in the south windows; chair made up of pieces
of medieval carving in the early C19. The nave has square-headed C19 bench ends
and a granite octagonal front on a volcanic stem and plinth. 1661 Royal Arms
painted on a board above the south door; early C18 wall monument to Emanuel Hall,
died 1703, with an inscription recording a charity, in a moulded frame on the south
wall. C15 glass; the remains of a scheme by the Doddiscombsleigh atelier in the
east window of the Lady chapel, includes figures and armorial bearings.
Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project
Brooks, C and Evans, D, unpublished notes on the stained glass of Bridford Church.
Reverend Carrington, "Parochiales Bridfordii", MS in DRO includes description of
changes to the church in the early C19.
Listing NGR: SX8160486385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings