This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6635 / 50°39'48"N
Longitude: -3.6784 / 3°40'42"W
OS Eastings: 281471
OS Northings: 86218
OS Grid: SX814862
Mapcode National: GBR QM.BGNR
Mapcode Global: FRA 375B.4RN
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318177
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85569
Location: Bridford, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Bridford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bridford St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 88 NW
2/49 The Old Rectory
Former rectory. C15 or earlier origins, substantially remodelled in the early C19
and altered in the 1950s. Whitewashed rendered stone; tiled roof (formerly
thatched) with sprocketed eaves, semi-conical at the left end, gabled at the right
end; rear left lateral stack to main block enclosed by rear left wing, front right
lateral stack (shaft dismantled), end stack to rear right wing.
Plan: Overall U plan. The origins of the house are a probably C15 or earlier open
hall of which only one end (the right end), survives with the remnants of the
through passage. This was probably the hall. The
house was thoroughly remodelled for the Reverend Carrington in the early C19 as an
L plan arrangement, 2 heated rooms to the left, divided by an entrance into a stair
hall, and a library wing at right angles to the left hand room. The lower end
appears to have remained single-storey throughout, retaining its medieval roof but
with a front lateral stack added. A rear right service wing is probably C18 in
origin but heavily remodelled in the C19 and C20. In the 1950s the thatch was
replaced with tile and the rear lateral stack of the centre room dismantled.
Renovations exposed an important painted plank and muntin screen in the right end
Exterior: 2 storeys to the left, the lower end single-storey under a lower
roofline. Asymmetrical 2 window front, the 2 windows to the single-storey right
end. The main block has an approximately central C19 porch with timber Tuscan
columns and a 6-panel 2-leaf front door; front elevation blind to the left of the
porch; half-glazed C20 door to putative former passage at right hand of main block.
fenestration of C19 or C20 timber casements with glazing bars to the first floor,
timber sashes with glazing bars to the ground floor. 2 C20 timber casements to the
right end, one on either side of the truncated stack. The left return of the main
block has a 2-storey canted bay window fenestrated with 4-pane timber sashes,
similar windows to the library.
Interior: The right end room has a notable painted medieval plank and muntin
screen, sited about 2 metres above ground level: E. Clive Rouse considered it to be
in situ. A doorway has been inserted in the right hand panel with steps up, but of
the remaining 8 panels, 6 retain figure paintings, the figures holding lances with
penons. Rouse suggested that the iconography is the Elizabethan Nine Worthies with
parallels at Harrington Hall and Amersham, Bucks, making this "amongst the earliest
sets of Worthies in the country". The putative through passage retains a crossbeam
with mortises for a former screen. The rest of the house retains some good features
from the early C19 remodelling: a stick baluster stair with a wreathed mahogany
handrail; a decorated plaster ceiling frieze in the left hand room with egg and
dart moulding and a fine first floor chamber above with a coved plaster ceiling
with a decorated plaster frieze.
Roof: The C15 smoke-blackened roof over the right end survives below a later roof
structure. It has 2 face-pegged jointed cruck roof trusses with a square-set ridge
supported on a saddle, sooted rafters also survive. The roof trusses over the
higher end are mostly C19 but one earlier pegged truss may be C17.
The Reverend Carrington, Rector of Bridford 1815-42, wrote "Parochiales Bridfordii"
in MS, this includes an account of the Rectory as he found it.
An important painted screen and part of an unusually early medieval roof in a
E. Clive Rouse,"Bridford Rectory, Devon: Note on a painted screen or Panelling",
typescript dated 1955 deposited in National Monument Record.
Listing NGR: SX8147186218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings