This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6857 / 50°41'8"N
Longitude: -3.2393 / 3°14'21"W
OS Eastings: 312548
OS Northings: 88067
OS Grid: SY125880
Mapcode National: GBR P8.XDVM
Mapcode Global: FRA 4738.7WB
Entry Name: Sidholme
Listing Date: 12 November 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87316
Location: Sidmouth, East Devon, Devon, EX10
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Sidmouth
Built-Up Area: Sidmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sidmouth
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 1288 7/68
Gothicised villa built for the Earl of Buckingham in 1826 with later exten-
sions and alterations. Stuccoed. South garden front has main block of
3 storeys, 1 in attic. 3 gables, centre one smaller, with ornamental
bargeboards and finials. The front is extended for one bay on ground
and 1st floors to west with similar gable to those on 3 storeys part.
Across the 1st floor rune a balcony with elaborate Victorian cast iron
balustrade, supported on iron columns with tracery brackets. 3 windows
2nd floor, the outer ones 2-light marginal glazed casements with pointed
top panes, drip moulds over, the centre window marginal glazed casement
in cambered arched recess. 4 windows to 1st floor, 2 canted bays with
camber headed marginal glazed lights and stepped leaded tent roofs rather
in "Chinoiserie" taste. 2 French windows with drip moulds over. The
wall on ground floor has thin stucco blind arcading with colonettes and
pointed cusped arches. Windows transomed casements later C19 and door.
East wing set back and decreasing in height from 3 storeys to 1 storey.
Gable end slate roofs with ornamental fascia boards. Some of original
marginal glazed Gothic casements survive. The rest altered and ground
floor built out. 2 service blocks terminate east wing both of 2 storeys,
one with parapet raised as pediment over centre, the other with low pitch
slate roof. Fenestration altered but on pedimented block 3 casement windows
grouped in centre of 1st floor with pediment over middle one. The entrance
front faces west and has an asymmetrical cement rendered elevation of
2 and 3 storeys. 3 gabled bays with ornamental bargeboards and finials.
2 storeyed projecting gabled porch with 6-light bay window with panelled
apron above door set in moulded pointed arch. Rest of fenestration irregular
with some later alterations, bay windows and some casements still with
marginal glazing, with drip moulds over. The balcony and veranda returned
from south front for one bay. Projecting from north side of the house
is the Music Room, added by the Earl of Buckingham circa 1826. Tall stucco
faced block on elongated Greek cross plan with canted ends to arms. Lit
by very tall round headed sashes with glazing bars intact. It has a very
fine interior, Neo-classical with some Rococo elements. Painted decoration,
partly in grisaille, and guilded stucco work. The walls articulated by
panelled pilasters and a high ribbed domical vault rising from cornice.
2 columned marble mantle pieces, mirrors above with elaborate Rococo frames.
'Gothic' organ case. Fine chandelier. Broad staircase with turned arcaded
balusters rises up into 1st floor of house at south end of room. The
house was the boyhood home of Professor F. A. Lindemann, Viscount Cherwell.
Sidholme is part of a group of early to mid C19 villas in particularly
fine settings on a residential cul-de-sac in the upper part of the town.
Listing NGR: SY1254388065
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings