This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8551 / 50°51'18"N
Longitude: -3.3217 / 3°19'18"W
OS Eastings: 307062
OS Northings: 107013
OS Grid: ST070070
Mapcode National: GBR LR.VD92
Mapcode Global: FRA 36XV.5QC
Plus Code: 9C2RVM4H+38
Entry Name: Walls, Gate Piers and Gates to the Walled Park to Dulford House
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87072
Location: Broadhembury, East Devon, Devon, EX15
Civil Parish: Broadhembury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Broadhembury St Andrew, Apostle and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 00 NE
2/69 Walls, gate-piers and gates to the
- walled Park to Dulford House
Walls, gate-piers and gates, formerly to the walled park surround Dulford House,
which was demolished in the 1930s. Late C18. Flemish bond handmade brick walls,
Dulford House was built between 1762-1800 by Charles Coote, the 7th Earl of Montrath.
He was a recluse "with a morbid dread of infectious diseases" (Chalk) and surrounded
the house with a massive walled park of tall brick walls, the bricks probably
maufactured in Dulford. Most of the walls survive although new houses and
conversions have been built within the park. The main gateway into the park is from
the road running along the east side with a pair of massive gate-piers and timber
The walls have shallow brick buttresses and curve inwards on the east side of the
gateway which is flanked by tall square section piers with tall pinnacles, one
retaining an openwork iron ball finial, possibly late C19. A pair of very tall
timber gates with a segmental arch at the top have good ornamental hinges.
Chalk, Transaction of the Devonshire Association, 84 (1952), p. 344.
Listing NGR: ST0706207013
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings