This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8217 / 50°49'18"N
Longitude: -3.198 / 3°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 315708
OS Northings: 103145
OS Grid: ST157031
Mapcode National: GBR LX.XFMK
Mapcode Global: FRA 465X.RX2
Entry Name: Combe Hill Including Walls to the Walled Garden
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87110
Location: Combe Raleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Combe Raleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combe Raleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 10 SE
6/109 Combe Hill including walls to the
- walled garden
Gentleman's villa. Described by Polwhele as "the seat of Thomas Graves Esq. Captain
the Royal Navy .... built in 1789", early C20 alterations. Rendered, stone and brick
construction, the end walls of the attic storey of framed construction; slate roof,
half hipped at ends of main range; axial stacks to main range, stack to kitchen wing
and end stack to music room.
Plan: L plan. A rectangular, double depth main range facing approximately south with
a rear right kitchen wing at right angles, entrance on east side, 3 principal rooms
facing south. Tall flint rubble walls form a service courtyard to the north of the
main range and a large walled garden beyond it. The core of the house is late C18:
the early C20 alterations involved the addition of 3 projecting bays on the garden
(south) elevation, a new stair and the addition of a single-storey music room at the
east, linked to the main range by a glazed lean-to along the east front. The early
C20 work is high quality and sympathetic to the original, extending cornices and
skirtings into the bays.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay south (garden) elevation with a 5-sided 2-
storey projecting bay in the centre with a peaked slate roof and canted bays to left
and right. A parapet above a bold dentil moulding breaks forward round the centre
bays The bays are glazed with early C20 small pane timber sashes. The right return
(entrance elevation) has an early C20 gabled porch with a 2-leaf half-glazed outer
door with a fanlight with spoke glazing and a window in the left return; 2-leaf half-
glazed inner door with panelled reveals. C20 tripartite timber sash to the left of
the porch, 3 first floor 12-pane sashes, 1 attic storey 12-pane sash. The glazed
lean-to giving access to the music room has small-pane windows with Gothick style
arched glazing bars. The early C20 music room has a hipped slate roof and a canted
bay on the south end with sash windows matching those in the lean-to, stack at the
north end. Tall flint rubble walls form the service courtyard and walled garden
beyond to the rear.
Interior: A mixture of late C18 and early C20 features include moulded plaster
cornices, marble chimney-pieces, high quality joinery and an Edwardian stair. The
cellars are said to represent the remains of an earlier house on the site.
Roof: The late C18 roof structure survives, adapted where it adjoins the early C20
Polwhele, R. History of Devonshire f.p. 1793, vol. II, p. 329.
Listing NGR: ST1570803145
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings