This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8066 / 50°48'23"N
Longitude: -3.3699 / 3°22'11"W
OS Eastings: 303571
OS Northings: 101676
OS Grid: ST035016
Mapcode National: GBR LP.YD2V
Mapcode Global: FRA 36TY.YT3
Entry Name: School House
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86782
Location: Clyst Hydon, East Devon, Devon, EX15
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Clyst Hydon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst Hydon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 00 SW
2/22 School House
House, maybe the site of the church house and thereafter a school, 3 almhouses and
schoolmistress house. Mid C17 (maybe older in parts) modernised circa 1960.
Plastered cob on stone rubble footings; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20
brick; thatch roof.
Plan and development: 3-room plan house facing east and backing onto the
churchyard. The centre room has a front lateral stack and the left and right rooms
have end stacks. The historic development of the house is impossible to determine
since the internal structure is all covered by C20 plaster. The large projecting
right (northern) stack is late C17 but the other 2 maybe late C19 or C20. A C20
straight flight staircase rises between the centre and left rooms. The house is 2
Exterior: balanced but not symmetrical 4-window front of C20 casements with glazing
bars. There are 2 front doorways and both contain C20 part-glazed doors and the one
left of centre has a C20 gabled porch. The roof is hipped each end. Some of the
rear windows have old oak frames, maybe as early as the late C17. The large
northern stack has weathered offsets which are protected by massive slates.
Interior: is largely the result of thorough late C19 and C20 modernisations. The
only feature exposed is the large kitchen fireplace to the north room; it is built
of late C17 local brick with a deeply chamfered oak lintel. Elsewhere all the
structural carpentry is covered with plaster and the roof is inaccessible. Great
care should be taken here during any modernisations lest C17 or earlier features are
The position of the house suggests that it is the site of the church house.
According to the owner it was the village school up to 1868. It was then converted
to 3 1-room plan almshouses and in the 1890's they were converted to the school
mistress's house. School House is one of a very good group of attractive listed
buildings in the vicinity of the Church of St Andrew (q.v).
Listing NGR: ST0357401680
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings