This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8068 / 50°48'24"N
Longitude: -3.3694 / 3°22'9"W
OS Eastings: 303609
OS Northings: 101701
OS Grid: ST036017
Mapcode National: GBR LP.YD75
Mapcode Global: FRA 36TY.Z0H
Entry Name: Capehams
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86781
Location: Clyst Hydon, East Devon, Devon, EX15
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Clyst Hydon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst Hydon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 00 SW
House. Mid C17, some late C19 modernisation and with a circa 1930 extension. The
original section is plastered cob on stone rubble footings, the extension is
plastered brick; stone rubble and brick stacks topped with C19 brick; slate roof,
originally thatch over the C17 section.
Plan: 3-room plan cottage facing south-south-west, say south. The left (west) room
has a projectng gable-end stack. A stair turret rises in the outshot to rear of
this room. The small centre room is heated by an axial stack backing onto the right
(east) room which has a gable-end stack. These 3 rooms are the principal rooms, the
service rooms are in the rear outshots.
The C17 house had a 2-room plan. The right room is an extension of circa 1930. The
small room (now in the centre) was originally unheated; it was probably a dairy or
buttery. The original front entrance has been blocked. A late C19 doorway is
inserted through the left end wall. This doorway involved the demolition of the
original newel staircase (set to rear of the stack) which was replaced by the
The house is 2 storeys with lean-to outshots to rear (some of which may be
Exterior: regular 4-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars. The ground
floor window left of centre is blocking the original doorway. The roof is gable-
ended. The doorway in the left end contains a late C19 or early C20 part-glazed
door behind a gaoled porch on rustic posts.
Interior: the carpentry detail of the original C17 house is well-preserved. The
larger heated room has a chamfered and scroll-stopped crossbeam. The fireplace here
is blocked by a C20 grate. The timber-framed partition between the 2 original rooms
is plastered but the headbeam is exposed and has an ovolo-moulded cornice to the
heated room. The roof over the original section is 3 bays. The trusses are
plastered over below ceiling level but the shape of the truss over the heated roof
suggests that it is a jointed cruck. The other truss (over the partition) is boxed
into a partition; it was probably built as a closed truss.
Capehams is one of an attractive group of listed buildings in the vicinity of the
Church of St Andrews (q.v).
Listing NGR: ST0361001703
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings