This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8688 / 50°52'7"N
Longitude: -3.0744 / 3°4'27"W
OS Eastings: 324492
OS Northings: 108248
OS Grid: ST244082
Mapcode National: GBR M2.TGYL
Mapcode Global: FRA 46GS.S3V
Entry Name: The Belfry Hotel
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86756
Location: Yarcombe, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Yarcombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Yarcombe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 NW
7/202 The Belfry Hotel
Hotel, former village school. Dated 1872, converted to an hotel circa 1970. Local
stone and flint rubble laid to rough courses with Hamstone ashlar detail; stone
rubble stacks; red tile roof.
Plan: the main block is built across the hillslope and faces south-east. It has a
2-room plan. To rear there are parallel rear blocks, the right (north-eastern) one
is a little shorter than the left one. The outer side of this right rear wing is
set back a little from the end of the main block and the entrance porch is on this
side into the rear block immediately behind the front block. There are lateral
stacks to rear of the main block serving both the front and rear blocks. The school
was single storey but an upper floor was inserted circa 1970 when it was converted
to an hotel. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: symmetrical 2-window front. The first floor dormer casements are C20
insertions but the ground floor ones are original; Hamstone ashlar, 6 lights with
central king mullion and Tudor arch-headed lights. These 2 windows are separated by
a buttress and there are diagonal buttresses on the end corners. The roof is gable-
ended. Both gables (and those of the rear blocks) have original wavey bargeboards
and both gable-ends have large windows with pointed segmental heads and contain a
kind of Perpendicular tracery. In the right end there is a plaque carved with the
Drake arms above the window and another below which is an inscribed foundation stone;
it was laid by Lady Elliot Drake in 1872. To right of this end is the gabled
entrance porch; timber-framed on low sleeper walls with a pointed segmental arch
still containing the original studded plank door with ornate strap hinges. The
sides of the rear blocks have Hamstone windows with Tudor arch-headed lights similar
to those at the front and there are large windows in the ends; a segmental pointed
arch window with Perpendicular tracery to the right wing and a square headed 5-light
window with 2 sets of transoms to the left wing. The front windows contain C20
glass but most of the others contains original diamond panes of leaded glass.
Interior: was thoroughly modernised circa 1970 when the upper floor was inserted.
The Belfry Hotel is one of an attractive group of listed buildings in the village of
Listing NGR: ST2449408250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings