This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8628 / 50°51'46"N
Longitude: -3.1351 / 3°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 320213
OS Northings: 107650
OS Grid: ST202076
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.TZJH
Mapcode Global: FRA 46BT.DGQ
Entry Name: The Sidmouth Arms Including Front Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86699
Location: Upottery, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Upottery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Upottery St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 NW
7/144 The Sidmouth Arms including front
- boundary walls
Public house. Circa 1870. Local stone and flint rubble with Membury stone ashlar
detail; stone rubble stacks with ashlar chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan: L-plan building. The main block faces west and it contains the main rooms.
It has a 3-room plan, each has a gable-end stack. There is a central through-
passage with the main stair off the rear end set in a rear outshot. A rear block
projects at right angles to rear of the right (south) end. It was formerly the
kitchen wing with a rear gable-end stack. The public house is 2 storeys.
Exterior: symmetrical 4-window front of 2-light stone window with shoulder-headed
lights. The shoulder heads of the left window bay have been removed. The windows
have segmental relieving arches over and the outer first floor windows have gables
over. The central front doorway contains the original part-glazed door behind an
original gabled porch with cusped bargeboards pierced with trefoils and a shaped
finial. There are ashlar quoins each end and a timber openwork valance under the
eaves. The same pattern is used for the bargeboards on the left gable-end but the
right gable-end has plain bargeboards.
Interior: includes a great deal of original joinery detail and there is some
original exposed carpentry in Cl7 style e.g. chamfered with scroll-stopped
crossbeams and open brick fireplaces with timber lintels.
The Sidmouth Arms is one of a good group of C19 buildings built at the expense of
Lord Sidmouth which make up most of the village of Upottery.
Listing NGR: ST2021307650
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings