This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8633 / 50°51'47"N
Longitude: -3.1358 / 3°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 320163
OS Northings: 107705
OS Grid: ST201077
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.TZ9W
Mapcode Global: FRA 46BT.D5Q
Entry Name: Manor Cottage
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098220
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86703
Location: Upottery, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Upottery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Upottery St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 NW
7/148 Manor Cottage
Cottage, which has formerly served as school, master's house, gardener's cottage,
estate laundry and justice room. Circa 1860. Local stone and flint rubble laid to
rough courses and with Membury stone ashlar quoins and detail; stone rubble stacks
topped with C19 and C20 brick; slate roof with crested ridge tiles.
Plan: U-plan building facing east. The centre wing was originally the master's
house and it has 2-room central staircase plan. The right room has a rear lateral
stack and the left room has an axial stack backing onto the crosswing. Both
crosswings project forward and each contains a large single room open to the roof.
These were originally the schoolrooms. Circa 1880, when the present school and
master's house, Upottery Primary School (q.v), was built the house here became a
gardener's cottage. The right (north) wing was converted to the estate laundry and
the left (south) wing became the estate justice room, a private court. Now the
whole building is used as a house. The cottage section is 2 storeys, the wings are
single storey. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: symmetrical 1:2:1 window front of 2-light stone ashlar windows with
chamfered mullions and Tudor-style hoodmoulds. They contain iron-framed windows and
diamond panes of glass. The side of each wing contains 2 similar windows. The
first floor windows of the cottage section are gabled dormers containing timber
casements and they have cusped bargeboards. The central doorway of this cottage
section is a Tudor arch behind an original gabled porch. Each front end of the
crosswings also contains a stone Tudor arch doorway with chamfered surround and
these 2 have hoodmoulds with carved foliate label stops. All the doorways contain
original plank doors with ornate strap hinges. The wings are gable-ended with plain
bargeboards including apex finials.
Interior: was not inspected.
This well-preserved and attractive early Victorian building is one of a group of C19
buildings built by Lord Sidmouth which make up Upottery village.
Listing NGR: ST2016307705
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings