This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8613 / 50°51'40"N
Longitude: -3.1352 / 3°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 320202
OS Northings: 107482
OS Grid: ST202074
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.V5JQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46BT.LD3
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86707
Location: Upottery, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Upottery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Upottery St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 NW
7/152 The Old Rectory
House, former vicarage. Mid C19 with a late C19 extension. Local stone and flint
rubble with Hamstone ashlar quoins and detail; stone rubble stacks some with their
original Hamstone ashlar divided chimneystacks but most have been rebuilt in brick;
Plan: large double depth plan house facing onto the garden to the south-east. It
is 3 rooms wide. The outer rooms front and back are built like crosswings and are
heated by end stacks, all except 1 of them projecting. The centre rooms are heated
by axial stacks. The main entrance is between the front and back rooms on the left
(south-west) side with the stairs the other side. Late C19 2-room plan service wing
to rear of the right end, and service courtyard in the angle of this wing and the
back of the house. 2 storeys with attics. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: symmetrical 1:1:1-window front. Each of the outer bays breaks forward a
little and is gabled with shaped kneelers and coping. Each has a ground floor 3-
light stone mullion-and-transom window with Tudor arch-headed lights and a
hoodmould, a similar second floor 2-light window with hoodmould and an attic lancet.
The centre bay has similar 2-light window on each floor, the ground floor 1
transomed and with a hoodmould. The entrance front, the south-west side, has a
centre bay slightly broken forward and flanked by projecting stacks. This bay is
gabled and surmounted by chimneyshaft. It contains a Hamstone Tudor arch doorway
with moulded surround and hoodmould with lozenge label stops and it contains its
original panelled doors. The other (north-east) side is less regular but the
windows are in the same style as those on the garden front. It also includes a tall
3-light window with cusped headed lights. The service block extension has plainer
stone mullioned windows but these contain diamond panes of leaded glass whereas the
original windows contain rectangular panes of leaded glass.
Interior: was not available for inspection at the time of this survey although, if
the little altered exterior is anything to go by, a great deal of original joinery
and other detail is suspected.
The Old Rectory forms part of a good group of high quality C19 buildings which make
up the village centre of Upottery, most of them built at the expense of Lord
Listing NGR: ST2020207482
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings