History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colyton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.74 / 50°44'24"N

Longitude: -3.0693 / 3°4'9"W

OS Eastings: 324646

OS Northings: 93924

OS Grid: SY246939

Mapcode National: GBR PD.VYP0

Mapcode Global: FRA 47G4.22S

Entry Name: Great House

Listing Date: 8 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098541

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87893

Location: Colyton, East Devon, Devon, EX24

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Colyton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Colyton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Colyton

Listing Text

SY 2493 COLYTON SOUTH STREET
24/202 COLYTON

8.5.67 Great House

II*

House, all that remains of a large Elizabethan house. Circa late C16. Stone rubble
with freestone dressings, and slate roof with hipped and stone coped gable ends.
U-shaped on plan with wings to north-west and south-west. Two storeys. The
south-east garden front has five three light ovolo moulded stone mullion windows to
first floor with moulded string at cill level - said to have been a long gallery.
Passageway through to rear where there are two wings, the north-west wing has hipped
roof and pigeon holes to first floor. The south elevation of the south-west wing
has chequered knapped flintwork on first floor, moulded stringcourse at floor level,
symmetrical three bays with moulded three light stone mullion windows with leaded
panes and dripmoulds, centre first floor one light window with cusped head. Ashlar
chimney stacks with moulded caps.
In the angle of the south-west wing, gabled with window with two pointed arch lights
and moulded wood door-frame with cambered head. Interior: three C16 Tudor arched
stone chimneypieces. North-east first floor room has bolection moulded chimneypiece
with moulded plaster. Stuart arms above. Duke of Monmouth is said to have stayed
in this house and the Stuart arms were put up to show loyalty to the King.
Former seat of the Yonge family.
The house was built by John Yonge an eminent Elizabethan merchant. His son Walter
Yonge (1579-1649) lived at the Great House and here wrote much of his well-known
diary (1604-28) which was published by the Camden Society in 1848.


Listing NGR: SY2464393921

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.