History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Chardstock, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8346 / 50°50'4"N

Longitude: -2.9828 / 2°58'58"W

OS Eastings: 330883

OS Northings: 104356

OS Grid: ST308043

Mapcode National: GBR M6.WN45

Mapcode Global: FRA 46MW.RQJ

Entry Name: The Court

Listing Date: 8 May 1967

Last Amended: 25 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87767

Location: Chardstock, East Devon, Devon, EX13

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Chardstock

Built-Up Area: Chardstock

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Chardstock St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Chardstock

Listing Text

1. In the entry for CHARDSTOCK CHURCH STREET
19/84 CHARSTOCK

Chardstock Court
(Previously listed as
The Court.)

The Entry shall be amended to read:

CHURCH STREET
CHARDSTOCK

The Court

------------------------------------

ST 3004 CHARDSTOCK CHURCH STREET
19/84 CHARSTOCK

8.5.67 Chardstock Court
(previously listed as The
Court)

II

Former manor house of the Bishops of Salisbury.
Fabric of early C14 origin, refashioned in C15/16. Fell into disrepair in C20 and
interior is said to have been largely gutted and a new roof added.
Stone rubble with freestone dressings. Tiled roofs with coped gable ends. Two
storeys. W-shaped on plan. The original south-east wing has various medieval
fragments including cusped arch two light mullion window, various re-used arched
window heads and chamfered stone door frames. One doorway on north side has four
centred arch with a cinquefoil blocked circular window in gable above and a fragment
of a shield in apex above that. The stair tower on the north side has a quatrefoil
window with a two centred arch hood mould. The north-west wing also with a new
roof, two storeys, three bays, entirely refenestrated in mid C20. The south-west
wing is an entirely C20 rebuild.
Interior is said to have been gutted in C20 but in former list (dated 1960) the
following interior features were referred to: "Newel staircase, various plank and
muntin partitions, moulded ceiling beams and old fireplaces".
A detached range destroyed in circa 1930 had a C15 open timber roof.
It was the manor house of the Bishops of Salisbury and was crenellated in 1377 by
Bishop Erghum.


Listing NGR: ST3088304356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.