This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.091 / 52°5'27"N
Longitude: -2.2753 / 2°16'30"W
OS Eastings: 381236
OS Northings: 243666
OS Grid: SO812436
Mapcode National: GBR 0FX.TVB
Mapcode Global: VH935.JP0W
Plus Code: 9C4V3PRF+CV
Entry Name: Presbytery adjacent to the Church of Our Lady and St Alphonsus
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Last Amended: 8 February 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153289
Location: Hanley Castle, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR8
Civil Parish: Hanley Castle
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Hanley Castle with Hanley Swan
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
A monastery building of 1844-46 by Charles Hansom, in use as a dwelling since 1851.
A monastery building of 1844-46 by Charles Hansom, in use as a dwelling and presbytery since 1851.
MATERIALS: the presbytery is built of Cradley stone with Forest of Dean stone dressings, and has a tiled roof.
PLAN: the entrance elevation of the presbytery faces north; to the south it is connected to the Church of Our Lady and St Alphonsus by a covered way.
Exterior: the building is of two storeys and three bays with a one bay cross wing to the east. There is a timber bellcote on the main ridge. The main entrance is in the northern elevation, in a pointed arch surround with a moulded hood. The thick timber door has original ironwork studs and handle. Above the door is a two-light mullion and transom window with trefoil heads in a square surround. The tall gable to the east contains a single trefoiled opening at first-floor level. West of the door is a canted bay with modern glazing, flanked by single-light windows with paired windows in dormers above and small lucarne openings above these. There is a further door giving access to a single storey wing to the west, with a walled yard beyond with timber gates.
The eastern elevation has further trefoil-headed windows, those in the large first-floor dormer have a quatrefoil opening above and a carved stone cross at the apex of the gable. There is also an armorial panel on this elevation. The southern elevation is of three bays, the third giving access to the covered way, and the cross wing beyond. There are three steeply gabled attic dormers at first-floor level.
Interior: the main front door opens into a large hall which is understood to have originally been the monks' refectory, with a large pointed arch halfway down its length and a door giving access to the covered way at one end. The windows retain original shutters which unfold to match the shape of the openings. The principal reception room has an ornate fireplace and timber beamed ceiling. Further rooms at ground floor level have original timber doors, some with quatrefoil viewing panes. The service range to the west retains some original cupboards in pointed openings, and one room retains dairy setlas.
The main stair has chamfered balusters and carved newel posts, and rises to the first floor where the original monks' cells have been converted to bedrooms. Most retain original timber doors. The second floor is much altered but retains original windows with decorative iron handles in lucarne openings.
The garden is bounded by stone walls and to the east there is a stone outbuilding with openings which are said to have been used as lookouts by the Home Guard during the Second World War.
The Blackmore Estate near Hanley Swan had been in the hands of the Hornyold family since the C16, and in 1844 Thomas Charles Hornyold donated land for the building of a new Catholic church. The church, with an attached monastery for monks of the Redemptorist order, was paid for by John Vincent Gandolfi, a Genoese silk merchant who had married into the Hornyold family and would inherit the Blackmore Estate in 1859.
For the new church and monastery, Gandolfi chose as his architect Charles Hansom on the recommendation of William Bernard Ullathorne, at that time Vicar Apostolic of the Western District. Ullathorne advised Gandolfi that Hansom 'could do all that Mr Pugin could'. The monks took up residence in the monastery upon completion in 1846 but left shortly afterwards, in 1851, and the building has been in use as a dwelling since then.
The presbytery adjacent to the church of Our Lady and St Alphonsus, of 1846 by Charles Hansom, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: the building is a high quality and striking design in the Gothic Revival style;
* Architect: the building was designed by Charles Hansom, an architect of considerable importance.
* Group value: with the adjacent church of Our Lady and St Alphonsus (Grade II*), and the lychgate (Grade II) at the entrance to the churchyard.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings