History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate at the Church of Our Lady and St Alphonsus

A Grade II Listed Building in Hanley Castle, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0906 / 52°5'26"N

Longitude: -2.2748 / 2°16'29"W

OS Eastings: 381265

OS Northings: 243616

OS Grid: SO812436

Mapcode National: GBR 0FX.TZC

Mapcode Global: VH935.JQ77

Plus Code: 9C4V3PRG+63

Entry Name: Lychgate at the Church of Our Lady and St Alphonsus

Listing Date: 9 February 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1432045

Location: Hanley Castle, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR8

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Hanley Castle

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Hanley Castle with Hanley Swan

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hanley Castle

Summary


A lychgate of c.1846, attributed to AWN Pugin.

Description

A lychgate of c.1846, attributed to AWN Pugin.

MATERIALS AND PLAN: the lychgate is rectangular in plan, and is constructed of timber with a tiled roof.

DESCRIPTION: the lychgate has a tall, gabletted roof which is supported by thick chamfered timber posts with curved braces. There is a double gate and a separate pedestrian gate.

History

The Blackmore Estate near Hanley Swan had been in the hands of the Hornyold family since the C16, and in 1844 Thomas Charles Hornyold donated land for the building of a new Catholic church. The church, with an attached monastery for monks of the Redemptorist order, was paid for by John Vincent Gandolfi, a Genoese silk merchant who had married into the Hornyold family and who would inherit the Blackmore Estate in 1859.
Gandolfi chose Charles Hansom as his architect for the church and monastery, and much of the church’s internal fittings were designed by AWN Pugin. The lychgate has also been attributed to Pugin.

Reasons for Listing

The lychgate at the Roman Catholic church of Our Lady and St Alphonsus, of 1846 and attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Architect: the lychgate is attributed to AWN Pugin, one of the leading architects of the Gothic Revival;
* Design interest: the lychgate is a well-composed and well-executed design,
* Group value: it has good group value with the church (Grade II*) and presbytery Grade II), which form its backdrop.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.