History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade I Listed Building in Bosbury, County of Herefordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0886 / 52°5'18"N

Longitude: -2.4458 / 2°26'44"W

OS Eastings: 369549

OS Northings: 243451

OS Grid: SO695434

Mapcode National: GBR FY.BFYK

Mapcode Global: VH85M.KRBS

Plus Code: 9C4V3HQ3+CM

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 6 March 1972

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153037

Location: Bosbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bosbury

Built-Up Area: Bosbury

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bosbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SO 64 SE; 6/72

MAIN STREET (north side)

Church of Holy Trinity




Parish church. Late C12 or early C13, incorporating fabric of earlier C12
building, C15 south porch and early C16 Morton Chapel by Thomas Morton, died
1511, brother of the then Archbishop of Canterbury. Church restored 1871.
Coursed sandstone rubble, tiled roofs, part timber-framed south porch. Nave
with north and south aisles, south porch and south Morton Chapel, chancel.

Nave: six bays with moulded corbel table and raised verges; six evenly
spaced lancets light clerestory with roof of south aisle below; one C19
square-headed window with three trefoil-headed lights and lancet to west
and similar lancet to east flank projecting gabled south porch with later
inserted dwarf walls below framing, swept bracing to main posts and swept
wind-braces to roof. C19 bargeboard to gable; Morton Chapel to east with
diagonal buttresses and altered parapet (formerly embattled), two 3-light
transomed windows with Perpendicular tracery, similar 4-light window without
transom to east; Chancel: three bays with corbel table and raised verge,
three lancet windows with round-headed doorway between two western windows;
restored 4-light late C15 east window with Perpendicular tracery.

six-bay arcades to north and south aisles of two chamfered orders and chamfered
label, circular piers with moulded bases and trumpet-scallop capitals;
single-framed rafter roof to nave, possibly C13, two-bay stone fan-vault to Morton
Chapel, lean-to roofs to aisles with moulded principals and wall-plates; chancel
arch of two orders, inner chamfered and outer with roll and fillet moulding,
moulded bases and trumpet-scallop capitals to responds. Fittings: screen,
extensively restored, C15 wooden structure of five bays, central larger door-
way flanked by outer bays each with three traceried sub-divisions, ribbed
coving above; font: c1200 square base with five shafts supporting square
bowl with rounded concave sides; early C17 lectern with turned stem on three-
armed base and supported by three scrolled struts; pulpit and reader's desk
incorporate C16 and C17 fragments.

Monuments: in chancel south wall, John
Harford memorial, large recessed wall monument commemorating John Harford
died 1559, signed by John Guldo of Hereford 1573, pedimented surround with
Corinthian columns on tall bases, semi-circular head to arched recess with
Ionic capitals to pilasters, recumbent effigy in civil costume on sarcophagus
supported by two lions, the whole enriched with rosettes in spandrels and
large leaves and rounded in tympanum, shell motif and three panels with vases
and two shields and an achievement of arms at back of recess. In north wall,
large recessed wall monument commemorating Richard Harford died 1578, his
wife Martha and Anthony Harford, attributed improbably to John Guldo of Hereford,
caryatid-type figures possibly Adam and Eve flank central semi-circular headed
arched recess with segmental pediment. Two recumbent effigies, male and female
in civil costume on sarcophagus supported by two grotesque animals, the whole
enriched with foliage and flock motifs and rather more primitive in style than
John Harford memorial on opposite wall.

Listing NGR: SO6954843449

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.