This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0363 / 52°2'10"N
Longitude: -2.4994 / 2°29'57"W
OS Eastings: 365840
OS Northings: 237666
OS Grid: SO658376
Mapcode National: GBR FW.FSRR
Mapcode Global: VH85Z.M2JR
Entry Name: Aylton Parish Church
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 152673
Location: Aylton, County of Herefordshire, HR8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Aylton
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Aylton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
AYLTON CP AYLTON
SO 63 NE
5/8 Aylton Parish Church
Parish church. C12 with later alterations, restored 1928. Sandstone rubble
in large squared blocks with sandstone dressings, rendered west gable top,
two brick buttresses to west end, brick and timber porch, plain tiled roofs.
Continuous small three-bay nave and two-bay chancel with south wall of chancel
slightly set back at east end beyond stone buttress; south porch. Square,
probably C17 bell-turret over west end of nave is rendered with pyramidical
roof. Nave: west window is centrally placed C20 lancet above which is
tiled weathering at eaves level; minute C12 round-headed windows in east side
of north wall with a 2-light square-headed window opposite in the south wall.
C18 plaster sun-dial on west side of south wall. Chancel: C14 2-light east
window with deep chamfers and ogee heads; small one-light square-head chamfered
window in south wall. South porch: late C19 to C20 brick open side walls and
front piers, two curved struts from tie of gable end to rafters with oak plaque
on the struts showing date "165-" (1654 according to RCHM); C17 balusters, some
restored, four to each open side, above the brick side walls, have run-out
chamfer-stops to tops and bottoms which are narrower than the turned centres
of each baluster. C18 south doorway with 2-centred head. Interior: plastered
barrel ceiling to chancel and nave is divided by chancel screen, perhaps C15
and incorporating fragments of rood loft. The screen has three bays with the
entrance bay left of centre, moulded posts; outer spandrels are traceried with
daggers and cusped rosettes; inner spandrels are brattished; over the moulded
lead rail is a range of trefoil-headed panels. To the east of the screen is
a tie-beam with run-out chamfer-stops, possibly C17. Small early C17 communion
table with turned legs and c1700 communion rails with moulded rails and balusters.
Late C19 harmonium inscribed "Bridgeport/Organ Co. Bridgeport/ Conn USA".
Corbelled projection to left of altar. Small drainless piscina to south wall.
Nave: cambered tie-beam with keel moulding and run-out chamfer spans from above
the south door. Font, perhaps C17, with plain hemi-spherical bowl and project-
ing rim on columnar shaft and octagonal base. Restored timber supports to bell-
turret. (RCHM, Vol II, p 8-9).
Listing NGR: SO6584037666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings