This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.107 / 52°6'25"N
Longitude: -2.7244 / 2°43'27"W
OS Eastings: 350481
OS Northings: 245657
OS Grid: SO504456
Mapcode National: GBR FK.9JTB
Mapcode Global: VH85G.Q9KL
Plus Code: 9C4V474G+R6
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 27 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 154247
Location: Moreton on Lugg, County of Herefordshire, HR4
Civil Parish: Moreton on Lugg
Built-Up Area: Moreton on Lugg
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton on Lugg
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
MORETON-ON-LUGG CP MORETON-ON-LUGG
SO 54 NW
3/62 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Largely 1867 reconstruction by W H Knight, with internal
chancel decoration by A Salviati 1887, remains of a C12 window in south wall
of chancel, C15 south arcade, roofs of nave and south aisle possibly of C15.
Coursed and squared sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings; stone slate roof.
Nave with south-west tower, south aisle and north porch, chancel. Nave:
north wall with two 2-light windows with quatrefoil in roundel and moulded
label to left and similar window to right of gabled south porch; pointed
arched head to doorway with attached shafts and decorative capitals, moulded
label. South aisle with two C19 trefoil-headed lights and one re-set late
C13 east window of one trefoil-headed light. South-west tower of three stages
with octagonal broach spire; 2-light openings to bell stage with roundel and
decorative attached shafts and moulded label. Chancel north wall window with
pair of trefoil-headed lights with trefoil in roundel to each. Three trefoil-
headed lights to east window with three trefoils in roundel set in larger roundel
above; remains of semi-circular headed C12 light in south wall. Interior:
trussed rafter roof to nave possibly of C15 date; pent roof to south aisle of
three-bays with moulded members; embattled wall-plate and curved braces spring-
ing from moulded wooden corbels. Ceiled and decorated roof to chancel of C19.
Chancel walls and reredos completely covered in mosaic decoration by Salviati;
with mosaic angels in nave of a later date, 1899. C15 screen now at west end
of church at organ chamber of eight single-light divisions closed at lower
half and open to upper part with cinquefoiled ogee-headed lights with tracery,
moulded mullions, and moulded cornice with vine ornament. (RCHM Vol II, p 147;
BoE, p 256).
Listing NGR: SO5048145657
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings