This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9766 / 51°58'35"N
Longitude: -2.8154 / 2°48'55"W
OS Eastings: 344089
OS Northings: 231220
OS Grid: SO440312
Mapcode National: GBR FG.KL80
Mapcode Global: VH78K.4LZ2
Entry Name: Church of St Dubricius
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 155582
Location: St. Devereux, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: St. Devereux
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: St Devereux and Wormbridge
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
ST DEVEREUX CP -
SO 43 SW
2/47 Church of St Dubricius
Parish church. C13 nave, C14 west tower and late C14 chancel; mid- to late
C19 restoration. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; C20 concrete tiled
roof. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel. West tower of three
stages with upper stages markedly offset above ground stage, plain parapet,
square headed loop to west side of ground stage, pointed head to loop on
second stage above, two trefoil-headed lights to 2-centred arch headed opening
to each side of bell stage. Nave: largely restored lancet to left with similar
window and further window with two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in
roundel to right of C19 gabled timber-framed porch and 2-centred arched headed
doorway with chamfered jambs. The north wall has one 2-light C19 window to
right of blocked north doorway and a single lancet and a 2-light C13 window
to the left. Chancel: square headed windows with two trefoiled ogee headed
lights flank late C15 or early C16 doorway with chamfered jambs and 4-centred
head. There are two similar windows to the north side. Restored C14 east
window with three trefoiled ogee headed lights with tracery and a 2-centred
head. Interior: C15 or C16 font with octagonal bowl and splayed underside.
Octagonal stem and square base. C14 piscina in chancel with chamfered and
rebated 2-centred head, damaged quatrefoiled bowl. Tomb recesses in north
and south walls of nave with low segmental pointed arches. Monuments: on
west wall, Thomas Goode, died 1664, with coat of arms, cherub heads and
scrolled bolection mould surround. Ann Goode, 1668, with figure and cherub
heads and scrolled bolection mould surround. The church contains many other,
mostly C19, memorials to Goode family in chancel. (RCHM, Vol I, p 223 -224;
BoE, p 283-284).
Listing NGR: SO4408931220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings