This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9758 / 51°58'32"N
Longitude: -2.8699 / 2°52'11"W
OS Eastings: 340346
OS Northings: 231166
OS Grid: SO403311
Mapcode National: GBR FC.KQRP
Mapcode Global: VH78J.6LPR
Entry Name: Grange Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 155061
Location: Abbey Dore, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Abbey Dore
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Abbeydore
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 43 SW ABBEY DORE CP -
6/9 Grange Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Possibly C14 or C15 with late C16 to early C17 and later
alterations and additions. Sandstone rubble plinth and south wall,
timber-frame with plaster infill, brick, Welsh slate and tiled roofs,
brick ridge stack. Cross-passage plan, three plus one structural bays
aligned north/south with smaller elements at each end. Two storeys.
West elevation has 2:1 windows, 2-light mid-C19 casement to left, 4-paned
window to left of porch and 3-light casement in first floor of porch; ground
floor has 3-light casement to left and two small windows, one to each side of
granary steps on right-hand side. Frame is close-studded with four panels
from cill to wall-plate; two-storey porch has arch braces from corner posts,
close-studding to flanks and first floor with parallel raking struts from
king-post to principals in gable front; ridge stack has coupled diagonal
shafts, entry under porch has moulded frame, ledged and strap-hinged door
possibly late C16; second entry with C17 ledged door at top of stone granary
steps; attached to left is single-storey former solar part, with plank-and-
muntin screen and moulded triangular door-head partly masked by brick stack;
to the right is a mid- to late C19 single-storey brick extension, probably
formerly a wash-house. East elevation of granary has first floor moulded
re-positioned oriel window, without mullions, and probably cut down.
Interior: C17 staircase with turned balusters. Several 2-centred moulded
door-heads, one leading from present kitchen to possible former buttery,
moulded and chamfered ceiling beams; room in porch, formerly a chapel,
has elaborate plasterwork with fleur-de-lys, acorn patterns, grotesque
head, rosettes and "IHS/1603". Main trusses each have three posts from
tie to collar from which rises a central post to apex formed by principals.
An exceptionally well preserved timber-framed building with elaborate
Jacobean decoration (RCHM Vol I, p 9 - 10).
Listing NGR: SO4034631166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings