History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Salkeld, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7239 / 54°43'25"N

Longitude: -2.6976 / 2°41'51"W

OS Eastings: 355165

OS Northings: 536764

OS Grid: NY551367

Mapcode National: GBR 9FLT.SD

Mapcode Global: WH80Z.JJNG

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 27 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74243

Location: Great Salkeld, Eden, Cumbria, CA11

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Great Salkeld

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Great Salkeld St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Great Salkeld

Listing Text

NY 53 NE GREAT SALKELD GREAT SALKELD

6/39 Church of St Cuthbert

27.12.67
II*

Parish church with fortified tower. Late C11 with c.1380 tower; c.1480 and 1674
alterations; 1866 and 1879 restorations. Large blocks of red sandstone, the
walls of the tower extremely thick; both tower and chancel with chamfered
plinths. Graduated sandstone slate roof with coped gable, kneelers and cross
finial. 3-storey square west tower; 5-bay nave with south porch; 2-bay
chancel. Tower has small chamfered loops on each face at various levels, the
upper west one with cusped head. Clock face on south wall and projecting angle
stair turret, all under battlemented parapet with angle spouts. Nave has 1750
porch covering original heavily-carved Cll doorway of 3 orders of zigzag arches,
some with carved heads. Roman altar from Old Penrith and fragments of medieval
graveslabs in porch. South C19 windows. Blocked north doorway and C19 windows,
but an upper C15 window. Walls of nave raised in C15. Chancel has round-headed
priest's doorway, rood-light C15 window and other 2-light windows. 3-light east
window looks C17. Interior of tower has vaulted basement. 2 window splays have
lintels made of 3 medieval graveslabs. Iron-bound 'yett' gate complete with
drawbars. Upper-floor fireplace has reused medieval graveslab to an Inglewood
forester c.1290. Nave has late medieval timber roof. One window has its
internal medieval splay. C19 and C20 Stained glass, one a memorial to Bishop
Nicholson, who was vicar here. White marble wall plaques, one to Bishop
Bowstead of Lichfield, born in Great Salkeld in 1801. Wall-mounted C17 armour.
Earlier roofline can be seen in west wall. Chancel has effigy moved from nave
to Thomas de Caldbec, Rector 1319. Medieval graveslab built into floor and
another slate slab of 1490 to Stephen Close, Rector (brass inscription now
illegible).


Listing NGR: NY5516536764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.