This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7134 / 51°42'48"N
Longitude: -0.4504 / 0°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 507157
OS Northings: 202762
OS Grid: TL071027
Mapcode National: GBR G77.DZF
Mapcode Global: VHFSD.46RC
Entry Name: The Old Cottage Restaurant
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Last Amended: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157673
Location: Kings Langley, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4
Civil Parish: Kings Langley
Built-Up Area: Hemel Hempstead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: King's Langley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
KINGS LANGLEY HIGH STREET
TL 0702 (West side)
13/142 No. 18 (The Old
26.1.67 Cottage Restaurant)
(formerly listed as No 18)
House, now a restaurant. C16 or earlier N crosswing, C17 short S hall
range, early C18 red brick casing to ground floor front and rear gable.
Timber frame with wide storey-height plastered panels at front, brick
nogged on rear wall of hall range, red brick to front ground floor and
rear gable, gable triangles hung with scalloped tiles. Steep old red
tile roofs, hipped with gablet around S gable formerly external chimney
with diagonal square shafts and moulded caps. A small T-plan house of 2
storeys with a cellar and part loft in the crosswing. E front facing
street has gabled wing on RH flush with front of S range. One window to
each floor in each part. LH part has flush 3-light cast iron lattice
casements: RH part has similar 1st floor window but an early C18 small
paned sash window of 3 equal lights to ground floor with trellis porch
and door into end of crosswing on LH. Front possibly extended in early
C19 about 1m to S. 3 early C18 narrow flush sash windows at 1st floor
rear of crosswing (one blocked). Interior has heavy timbers with jowled
posts and curved tension braces, large curved braces to cambered tie-
beams of clasped purlin roof in 2-bay crosswing. Lower S hall range
butted to crosswing has a cambered tie-beam, jowled posts and shutter
rebate in wallplate at rear. Moulded mitred panelling engraved 'NK 1569
MK' flanked by scratch moulded panelling probably came from the former
Manor House demolished in C19. C18 panelling to ground floor rooms with
moulded cornice and heavy surround with moulded shelf to S room. Axial
beam chamfered with bar stops.6-panel fielded door to left of fireplace.
2-panel door to stair in crosswing. Rebated timber frame for small
cupboard in each jamb of fireplace. (RCHM(1911)135 No. 4: KLLHMS report
1979 in NMR).
Listing NGR: TL0715702762
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings