This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6467 / 51°38'48"N
Longitude: -0.4553 / 0°27'19"W
OS Eastings: 506974
OS Northings: 195340
OS Grid: TQ069953
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.XKC
Mapcode Global: VHFSL.2W50
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 3 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100842
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158793
Location: Croxley Green, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD3
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Croxley Green
Built-Up Area: Rickmansworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Croxley Green All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 09 NE RICKMANSWORTH THE GREEN
6/150 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1870-2 by J. Norton. Extended 1907 by T. Moore. Smooth
faced snecked stone extended in yellow brick with ashlar dressings.
Machine tiled roofs. 4 bay nave, 2 bay chancel with N tower and organ
bay extended to S with parallel 4 bay nave, 3 bay chancel with S porch
and vestry. Gothic Revival Style with Free Gothic extension. Original W
front pointed arched 4 light window, geometrical tracery, hoodmould.
Continuous string course below sill level. Angle buttresses. Coped gable
parapet with ridge cross. Nave to N has 3 pointed arched 2 light
windows, cinquefoil lights, chamfered surrounds, hoodmoulds linked to
roll moulded string course. Gauged stone segmental arched head and
chamfered surround to entrance between 2 bays to W. Plinth. Nailhead
eaves cornice. Coped gable parapet at E end of nave. Projecting from E
bay of nave is tower, 2 lower stages square on plan. Plinth. 2 lancets
with foiled heads under a round arch in string course to N, pointed
arched entrance to W. Upper slit openings and clock faces. Bracketed
cornice. Round belfry with 4 paired lancets with foiled heads,
quatrefoil and trefoil friezes, heavily moulded cornice. Shingled
conical spire. Vestry is brick on stone base with hipped roof and a
stack. 3 light pointed arched E window with elaborate geometrical
tracery. Coped gable parapet. Angle buttresses to N with string course
rising over a single lancet and an upper trefoil on return. 1907
extension has alternating bands of stone and brick of varying widths,
narrower nearer top. W end set slightly behind earlier nave. 3 pointed
heads to W window with lights grouped 2:3:2, geometrical tracery and
hoodmould. Upper pair of lancets with a cinquefoil and hoodmould. Tile
coped gable parapet. Stone quoins to S. Porch in W bay, heavy plinth,
double chamfered pointed entrance arch, hood mould with mask stops.
Steeply pitched coped gable parapet. 3 pointed arched 2 light windows to
nave, Y tracery, string course at sill level. Continuous roof over
chancel with 2 similar windows to E and a pair of trefoiled and
quatrefoiled lancets nearer nave. Lean-to vestry to S, 3 bays with small
buttresses, square headed windows. Entrance in W return, 3 light window
in E return. Chancel projects beyond earlier build with taller ridge.
Two 3 light E end windows with simple foiled tracery, hoodmoulds. Stone
quoins. Tile coped gable parapet. Interior: original chancel arch is
pointed with florid respond capitals. Arcade separates builds, 2 massive
round arches to a central pier with a moulded cap to nave, 1 round arch
between chancels with stone quoined respond piers with moulded caps.
Stone quoined buttresses in place of chancel arch in later build.
Continuous wall passage to E, S and W of later build at sill level of
windows in deep embrasures, string course below wall passage, blind
lancets alternate with nave windows, moulded colonnette between 2 E
windows, round arch over sedilia in chancel. Ceiled roofs, later build
is 1 barrel vaulted space. C19 font, square bowl on octagonal stem with
corner shafts, stained glass Christ in Majesty at original E end.
Listing NGR: TQ0697495340
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings