This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6548 / 51°39'17"N
Longitude: -0.3986 / 0°23'54"W
OS Eastings: 510877
OS Northings: 196327
OS Grid: TQ108963
Mapcode National: GBR 48.66G
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.1NMS
Entry Name: Holy Rood Church
Listing Date: 12 September 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158202
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 1096 SE 9/44
Holy Rood Church
Roman Catholic. 1889-1900 by J F Bentley. Outstanding late Gothic revival church.
Flint and stone Gothic of Herts. Perpendicular type. Five bay nave with 2 bay width
transepts, clerestory, low-pitch roofed aisles, 3 bay chancel with upper level
ambulatory 2 bay north-east and south-east chapels with low vestries extending out
to line of east end. South-west porch. Clasped between transepts and chancel,
2 octagonal stair turrets with copper caps. North-west tower built 1894-1900, flint
below, top band of flint and stone chequer work, bell-stage banded flint and stone
with 2 light openings. Panelled battlements and lead spirelet over corner stair
turret. Stone banding is also used in all the gables and on the 2 octagonal turrets.
Large Perpendicular style transept, east and west windows.
Within, elaborate and complete set of fittings by Bentley unequalled elsewhere in
his work, notably in chancel and east chapels, west baptistery and north aisle chantry
chapel to S T Holland, the donor. Painted decoration to roofs and walls, opus sectile
(tile) panels, rich and elaborate marble and stone altar and reredos with tabernacle
(1899) and altar furniture by Bentley. Rood beam across chancel arch, oak sedilia,
painted stone piscina and aumbry. Tile and marble floor. Exceptional metalwork,
especially the grilles, screens and altar-rails, also electric light fittings (1899).
Pulpit (1893), heptagonal marble font with oak cover. Rich fittings especially to
the Holland chantry. Two canopied shrines with alabaster statues, 2 Virgin and
Sacred Heart. Stained glass by Bentley an east window (1899). East chapels, transepts,
(1894), 2 south aisle windows and 2 in chantry. Later fittings of note include
west window 1904 Burlison and Grylls and Stations of the Cross circa 1910 by
N H J Westlake.
W del'Hopital: Westminster Cathedral and its architect 1919 pp. 419-33.
Listing NGR: TQ1087796327
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings