This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9074 / 51°54'26"N
Longitude: -0.2066 / 0°12'23"W
OS Eastings: 523464
OS Northings: 224729
OS Grid: TL234247
Mapcode National: GBR J7W.8LK
Mapcode Global: VHGP0.CBM3
Entry Name: 160 High Street, Stevenage
Listing Date: 30 September 1976
Last Amended: 2 September 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158091
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Town
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Stevenage
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stevenage Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
Early C19 red-brick house.
The two-storey house is constructed of red brick with a brick plinth. The pitched roof, clad in red, clay tiles has a moulded ridge stack on the right gable end. The centrally placed six-panelled door has a fanlight under a semi-circular cutter brick arch, and is flanked by two- over-two pane sash windows under cambered cutter arches. There is another window to the right, and three similar windows on the first floor.
The house was built in the early C19 on the High Street which is notable for the survival of many C17 houses after a great part of the town was burnt in a fire of 1807.
160 High Street, Stevenage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Architectural interest: it is a good example of a polite, early C19 town house
Other nearby listed buildings