This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8987 / 51°53'55"N
Longitude: -0.1158 / 0°6'57"W
OS Eastings: 529734
OS Northings: 223913
OS Grid: TL297239
Mapcode National: GBR K9B.TTC
Mapcode Global: VHGP1.YJ3V
Entry Name: Benington Bury and Peterscourt
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Last Amended: 31 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159635
Location: Benington, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Benington
Built-Up Area: Benington
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Benington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2923 BENINGTON WALKERN ROAD
11/5 Benington Bury,
20.10.52 (formerly listed as
Rectory, now 2 houses. 1637 for Nathaniel Dod rector (date panel
on porch and inscription in church chancel). Extended c1680, and
in mid C19 for Rev Haggard. Sold 1914 and renamed Peterscourt.
Named The Bury in 1950's, and divided in 1980's. Red brick with
front plastered, and stone dressings to C19 work. Steep red tile
roofs. Built as a 2-storeys and attics, central-chimney, lobby-
entry, 2-cell plan house facing E with symmetrical red brick
front with 2-storeys porch and 2 gables with moulded parapet and
finials at apex and feet, and mullioned wood windows with labels.
Moulded string at ground floor and plain bond below front
parapet. Ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows. C19
cross-windows in 1st floor, some replacing C18 sashes (Buckler
dwg in HRO of 1832). Porch has pilasters on bases, below an
entablature with swelled frieze and triangular pediment.
Chanelled rustication to quoins on upper part. 6-panel ovolo-
moulded battened oak door in heavy chamfered frame. N wing,
probably c1680, extends the front, with minor differences, by one
gable. Timber-framed walls on each side of main staircase
suggests that the N wing was part of the original plan. Rear
wing of 1680 has a parlour and staircase. Front range retained
when S end and rear altered and extended in C19 red brick lancet-
Gothick, and chimneys rebuilt. Good interiors to main range with
4-centred chamfered red brick fireplaces to hall and chamber
over, and oak stair with square newels and pendants, and table-
leg balusters on landing. (RCHM (1911) 52: VCH (1912) 73:
Pevsner (1977) 95).
Listing NGR: TL2973423913
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings