This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8964 / 51°53'46"N
Longitude: -0.1164 / 0°6'59"W
OS Eastings: 529700
OS Northings: 223655
OS Grid: TL297236
Mapcode National: GBR K9J.1DG
Mapcode Global: VHGP1.XLTM
Entry Name: Summerhouse and Curtain Wall at Benington Lordship (30 Metres to South East of House)
Listing Date: 31 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101405
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159600
Location: Benington, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Benington
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Benington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2923 BENINGTON CHURCH GREEN
11/12 Summerhouse and
Curtain Wall at
- (30m to SE of house)
Summerhouse and adjoining curtain wall. Circa 1842 by James
Pulham for the Proctor family. Flint and stucco modelled to
appear ashlar, flint wall with external buttresses. Hidden part
of summerhouse to E of red brick with pitched tile roof. Set on
the bank of the inner edge of the moat to the inner bailey of the.
medieval castle. Main facade faces W and irregular curtain
wall links it to gatehouse at NW attached to the Lordship (q.v.).
Front a ruined tower with machicolations overhanging a wide
Romanesque arched doorway of 2 recessed orders and hood mould each
with chevron ornament. Demi-figures holding battle axes as
stops. Stiff leaf caps to corner shafts. Winged head and
cartouche with runic inscription over door. Doorway checked for
inward opening doors. Interior a square cell about 3m wide.
Walls of stucco lined as ashlar. Tas de charge on corbel head in
each corner with marks of former plaster groined vault. Central
round-headed niche in back wall with Buddha (renewed) above an
ancient Greek large stone inscribed tablet set into the wall, a
memorial to Aurchilus Zosimos, a slave and business
representative. Below the 6-line Greek inscription is a later
one viz 'This part of an ancient monument was discovered on the
Plain of Troy/ near Alexandria Troas by the Hon Captain John
Gordon RN/ and given by him to George Proctor of Bennington (sic)
Herts/ A D MDCCCXXXII'. Iron brackets set in each side wall as
if to support helmet and gaunlets.
Listing NGR: TL2970023655
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings