This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8964 / 51°53'47"N
Longitude: -0.117 / 0°7'1"W
OS Eastings: 529659
OS Northings: 223660
OS Grid: TL296236
Mapcode National: GBR K9J.16Y
Mapcode Global: VHGP1.XLHK
Entry Name: Benington Lordship
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159598
Location: Benington, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Benington
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Benington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2923 BENINGTON CHURCH GREEN
11/10 Benington Lordship
Country house. Late Cl7, E entrance and gatehouse c1842 by James
Pulham a modeller from Broxbourne, for the Proctor family, W wing
c1906 for Bott family. Red brick chequered with black headers on
S front. Knapped flint faced walls with stone dressings and
gatehouse modelled in Pulham's Portland Stone Cement to appear
to be weathered cubical ashlar. Red brick W wing. Steep old red
tile roofs. A large square 3-storeys house of double-pile plan
with 2 mid-wall chimneys. Symmetrical S front 7 windows wide
with plinth, gauged brick bands at 1st and 2nd floors, wide
wooden bracketed eaves and central doorway altered to a window.
Box sash windows, almost flush, with 6/6 panes generally but 3/3
in top floor, all with flat gauged brick arches. Bolection
moulded panelling to S rooms on ground floor and 1st floors.
Entrance now on E into Gothick single-storey, 3-windows, range
with 4 steps to double doors under 4-centred pointed arch. 2-
light stone pointed headed windows containing fragments of
stained glass. Attached at NE a tall Norman revival gatehouse
with twin flint-faced circular towers crenelated with
machicolations linked by a stucco 'ashlar' faces wall with
vigourously moulded round arch to central passage with portcillis
slot and masonic decoration. Corbelled machicolations over outer
arch and dripmould stops in the form of armoured demi-figures
with battle axes. Runic inscription on cartouche over gate.
Projecting externally to right of gate a matching 2-storeys and
cellar wing with simulated ashlar facing, diagonal buttresses,
and large 3 light Norman window with spiral moulded mullions.
Further block to right of flint and 'ashlar' with 3-light Norman
window with billet moulded fret as tracery in head. L-shaped 2-
storeys and attics W wing with wide lean-to roofed verandah along
W front supported on columns above the terrace balustrade. 5
windows wide W front with projecting pedimented centre flanked by
hipped dormers. 4 windows S end with 2 hipped dormers and half-
glazed door with intricate geometric pattern of glazing bars.
(A J Francis The Cement Industry 1796-1914: A History Newton
Abbot 1977 pp 104-8 for Pulham).
Listing NGR: TL2965923660
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings