This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6913 / 51°41'28"N
Longitude: -2.5992 / 2°35'57"W
OS Eastings: 358676
OS Northings: 199343
OS Grid: ST586993
Mapcode National: GBR JQ.4NWT
Mapcode Global: VH87G.WRR9
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 7 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101547
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354598
Location: Woolaston, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL15
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Woolaston
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Woolaston St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 59 NE
10/252 Church of St Andrew
Anglican parish church. C12 foundation, but almost entirely now of C19 'restoration'
and extension. Sandstone, concrete tiled roof to coped gables. Original C12
cruciform plan now lost, is nave, south porch, 2-gabled south aisle, chancel, vestry,
north tower (on site of north transept ?). Various windows generally in a C14 style.
Three-stage tower with chamfered offsets, crenellated parapet to low pyramidal roof
and weathervane, two deep buttresses to north side of nave. Outer and inner porch
doorways heavily restored Norman, door has fine decorative C19 strap hinges. At
west end of nave a 3-light window of c1300. Interior, nave with barrel roof, 2-bay
south aisle of 1829, the easternmost bay on site of former south transept, chancel
arch has paired granite columns with foliated caps, chancel roof 2 heavy cusped
King post trusses. Pitch pine pews, octagonal C16 font on Victorian base, C18
pulpit from Claycoton, Northants and screen from Church of the Venerable Bede; one
medieval bell, 2 of C17 and 2 of C18. The church was in the grant of Tintern Abbey
from 1131; major restoration by Henry Morgan of Tidenham in 1859. It stands in
a roughly circular churchyard, suggesting a very early site development.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X).
Listing NGR: ST5867699343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings