This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8129 / 51°48'46"N
Longitude: 0.1476 / 0°8'51"E
OS Eastings: 548138
OS Northings: 214878
OS Grid: TL481148
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.84Z
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.HPWL
Entry Name: White Lion Hotel
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101645
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160802
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
(White Lion Hotel)
TL 4813 1487:3/5 6.6.52
Later C16. W block c.1720-30 (RCHM Typescript). Small,early C19,
extension to E end. L shaped 2 storey corner building with older part
facing N onto Bell Street. Timberframed and plastered under steep old
red tile gabled roof. Slate roof to E extension and rear slope of main
roof. W block of red brick with gabled old red tile roof. N range
consists of 2 bay gabled crosswing next E extension with formerly jettied
hall and service end extending to W. Large chimney at upper (E) end of
hall, W block with higher rooms has central corridor with room each side
on 1st floor which probably reflects a similar arrangement on the Gd floor
now gutted. External gable chimneys. N front to Bell Street has brick
plinth painted, weatherboarding up to cill of Gd floor windows, and
chevron patterned panelled pargetting above. Overhanging eaves.
Bargeboard to gable of crosswing. 3 wooden 2-light casement windows to
1st floor, 6 panels to each light. Flush sash window with 8/8 panes to
Gd floor and canted bay window to crosswing. C19,E extension weatherboarded.
Flush boxed sash window to 1st floor with 6/6 panes. Simple pilastered
shop front with box cornice on 2 shaped brackets with guttae. 3 light
window. 3 panel door. C16 moulded heavy plank and batten rear door from
kitchen to rear yard. Splendid show front to W block facing London Road.
Plinth, 2 storeys and parapet, 5 windows. Red brick with lighter red
dressings and some in stone. Segmental gauged brick arches with stone
keystones. Giant order Doric pilasters at corners with moulded stone
bases and capitals. Moulded brick entablature breaks forward over each
pilaster with cut brick trigliphs and guttae. Moulded band at 1st floor
level, returned before pilasters. Bed mould of cornice and floor band
break forward over keystone of each window. 8 panel central door, raised
and fielded, with wide wooden Doric doorcase with rusticated pilasters and
full entablature with trigliphs and mutules breaking forward over pilasters.
Bases and foresteps removed for road widening after 1959. Windows are
slightly recessed box sashes with 6/6 panes and segmental heads to the
frame and upper sash. Parapet rebuilt. Wrought iron bracket with
cresting central over door. 1 bay single storey brick extension to S
modern. The W block has brick gable walls and parapets and projecting
gable chimneys. Internally quite plain. Timbers exposed in N range.
Chamfered and stopped axial beams to Gd floor, wall frame on 1st floor and
chamfered tie beams in crosswing.
Listing NGR: TL4814414866
Other nearby listed buildings