History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Elms Health Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8128 / 51°48'46"N

Longitude: 0.148 / 0°8'52"E

OS Eastings: 548166

OS Northings: 214871

OS Grid: TL481148

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.875

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.JP2M

Entry Name: The Elms Health Centre

Listing Date: 6 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160737

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Description

TL 4816 1487
3/28

BELL STREET (south side)
No 4 (The Elms health centre)

6.6.52

GV
II
Early C18. Large L-shaped house of two storeys, cellars and attics, timber-framed and plastered. High brick wall extending to east. C19, two storey weatherboarded and slate roofed extensions to rear. Old red tile roofs, hipped and with bellcast to eaves. Red brick chimneys rising through ridge.

North front has two hipped dormers, wood modillioned eaves cornice, panelled pargetting and symmetrical four window front A-B-B-A with a central pargetting motif of a circle within a quatrefoil over the door. The inner first floor windows have flush box sashes with architraves and 6/6 panes of crown glass in thick glazing bars ovolo moulded internally. Outer windows on first floor have wider flush box sashes with 8/8 panes, possibly later in date. Same pattern of windows on ground floor but sashes renewed. Wood doorcase up steps. Fluted Ionic pilasters rise from moulded bases and support a full entablature with swelled frieze and triangular pediment. Sun firemark no. 169528 in tympanum.

East front to garden has modillioned cornice, flush box sashes 8/8 with architraves at first floor flanking central triple window 4/4:8/8:4/4. French doors central to ground floor flanked by 8/12 sashes.

Wide entrance hall flanked by two rooms. First floor right hand room has simple dentilled cornice and shouldered wooden fire surround with scrolls supporting entablature as shelf. Original stair with heavy balusters leading to attics which have chamfered plank doors with old iron hinges.

Attached single storey slate roofed outbuildings extend to south and support small C18 wrought iron garden gate with horizontal panel of scrollwork.

The name dates only from 1888 and the house was bought by the local authority in 1964 (EHDC Deeds). The north front is illustrated by Nathaniel Lloyd as an example of pargetting in his A History of the English House (1931) p279.

Listing NGR: TL4816614871

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.