This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8429 / 51°50'34"N
Longitude: -0.0142 / 0°0'51"W
OS Eastings: 536895
OS Northings: 217896
OS Grid: TL368178
Mapcode National: GBR KB7.H6R
Mapcode Global: VHGP9.PYV3
Entry Name: Youngbury and Garden Wall Attached on North
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Last Amended: 23 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 161145
Location: Thundridge, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Thundridge
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: High Cross St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 31NE and 3618 STANDON NORTH DRIVE
4/16 & 9/16 Youngbury and garden wall attached on
(Formerly listed with stable block
24.1.67 an Youngsbury near Madesmill)
Country house and garden walls . 'DP 1745' carved on stone
string on E side. For David Poole. Improved and enlarged after
1769 for David Barclay with park landscaped by 'Capability' Brown.
Early C19 terrace and N service extension. Top floor removed,
porticoed entrance built on W and internal alterations c1950.
Roof balustrade with urns some years later. Plum red brick with
scattered vitrified grey headers, and slate roof behind
balustraded parapet. Built as a pedimented Palladian villa of 3
storeys, 3 windows wide, facing S with a columned porch. 5
windows to side elevations. Now reduced to 2 storeys. Central
window on 1st floor of S front set in a wide round arched recess.
Recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes and gauged flat arches.
Stucco floor band. French window in place of door and moulded
red brick surrounds added to window on each side of door
matching single-storey pilastered extension on W side
incorporating 4-column Doric W porch with panelled entrance door
and fanlight. 5 window E front has recessed sash windows under
flat arches and central glazed door. Straight joint shows extent
of original villa. Lower 2-storeys, c19,block to right linking
to C18 2-storeys old brewhouse range. 6-sided tall louvred. game
larder in link to brewhouse range. At SW a curved red brick
retaining wall extending to red brick piers with wrought iron
gates. Interior has Ionic fluted columns in hall, oval toplight
to stair with Regency style ironwork and cornices. Stair from a
wing of Chiswick House, installed c1950. C18 red brick extensive
walled gardens but Cl9 Hitch bricks used at NW next to Home Farm.
Listing NGR: TL3689517896
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings