This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.032 / 52°1'55"N
Longitude: 0.0383 / 0°2'17"E
OS Eastings: 539923
OS Northings: 239021
OS Grid: TL399390
Mapcode National: GBR L99.JJD
Mapcode Global: VHHL0.M634
Entry Name: Hill House
Listing Date: 3 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102568
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162520
Location: Barley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Barley
Built-Up Area: Barley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/10/2017
TL 33 NE
BAKERS LANE (East side)
Barley Hill House
Large house. 1907 by Edgar Wood and J.H Sellers. Thin red bricks with Bath stone and marble dressings. Asphalted reinforced concrete roof. Axial rectangular block with service wing to form an L on plan. Edwardian Free Style.
Two storeys. Entrance elevation has central three window range slightly recessed with service wing extending forward to left. Plinth. Steps curved out to central entrance, bead mouldings on door with lower fielded panel, upper traceried glazing, circular leaded panes, flanking margin lights with panels below, reveal with marble jambs and soffit. Outer stone architrave with lintel slightly bowed out and dentilled with date 1907, flanking three light flush moulded frame leaded light casements. Three closely spaced similar windows on first floor. Pierced stone blocked and coped parapet slightly stepped down to centre. Projecting section to right has a plain wall with a two light casement on first floor. Recessed brick dentillation below plain stone coped parapet stepping down between corner blocks. All return angles have triple rebates centrally hollow moulded. Section to left has similar detailing. Two cross axial stone coped stacks flank centre block. Right return has a step back towards garden, towards front ground floor mullion and transom casements of ten lights flanked by cross casements, first floor three lights in outer bays, to right towards garden 1:3:1 lights, transomed on ground floor. Parapet as to front right.
Garden elevation has centre slightly recessed with slightly higher plain coped parapet. Central entrance, plank and muntin door recessed with stone architrave, projecting stone hood tapers to lower dentillation. Above a tall leaded casement with moulded stone panels below and above with date and crenellations, all recessed. Tall two light casements flank entrance. To left two bays with ground floor cross and first floor two light casements, to right ground floor 14 light transomed casement, first floor five lights. Recessed dentillation below coping on parapet to outer sections. Stacks at rear angles of main block. Right return from garden has a full height shallow bow set back towards garden with an extruded stack, rebated corners, flanking single light casements, towards front a ground floor ten light transomed casement. Dentillations below coping to parapet stepping down between corner blocks.
Interior: groin vaulted vestibule and full height central hall with a segmental balcony with turned balusters. Simple classical mouldings and fireplaces.
Service wing extending forward to front left, originally one storey raised to two. Two bays to inner elevation, that nearer house has a double set back with a large round headed doorway to service yard, oculus above, three light casements to left. Plain front wall with a single two light casement. Outer elevation has three and four light casements, to rear of service yard a one storey section with a segmental headed door, a second door to rear of this. Formerly known as Dalny Veed, Russian for 'pleasant view'.
Listing NGR: TL3992339021
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings