This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0252 / 52°1'30"N
Longitude: 0.0325 / 0°1'56"E
OS Eastings: 539544
OS Northings: 238261
OS Grid: TL395382
Mapcode National: GBR L99.WJQ
Mapcode Global: VHHL0.JC09
Entry Name: Homestall and Flats 1 and 2
Listing Date: 3 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162562
Location: Barley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Barley
Built-Up Area: Barley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BARLEY THE MOUNT
TL 3938 (North side)
7/106 Home stall and
Flats 1 and 2
Large house, now 3 dwellings. C16 and C17 origins. Largely rebuilt and
extended c.1900. Further extended 1913 by B. Parker for R.N. Salaman.
Some timber frame to core, extended in brick. Roughcast and
weatherboarded with some tile hanging. Later extension is smooth
rendered with some thin dark red brick. Tiled roofs. Earliest core is
probably only 2 bays with a stack and 2 bays added in C17 on same axis.
2 storeys. Later extensions at both ends appear as crosswings. 2 storeys
and attics. c.1900 wing is in a Domestic Revival style, that of 1913 in
an Arts and Crafts style. Entrance front: from earliest bays to right of
centre extends a short twin gabled c.1900 projection with a central
plank and muntin door with a bracketed hood, casement windows, some
leaded, one large 8 light mullion and transom window, decorative leaded
rainwater pipes and a corbelled out stack. A low outbuilding projects
further forward with a bargeboarded gable and an attached tile coped L
shaped wall. C17 bays to left have a slightly higher ridge, ground floor
lean-to addition with an entrance to left in a gabled porch, part glazed
doors, bargeboards. First floor weatherboarding. In roof slope a 2 light
box dormer and an axial stack adjoining earliest bays, rebuilt on an
early base. To left of this is a c.1900 2 storey staircase wing with a
hipped roof, first floor 6 light casement with an ogee head to central
lower light. To far left is c.1900 crosswing projecting slightly
further, similar 6 light casement, tilehanging in bargeboarded gable.
Left return has a ground floor bay window with a similar 6 light
casement. A large extruded stack with 5 diagonal shafts has an attached
gabled office wing, 1 storey with moulded ogee heads to windows, a
further window on main wing behind stack and office. To rear or garden
this wing has a 2 storey canted bay window with similar fenestration,
tilehanging, projecting gable. 2 bays to left have 1 storey and full
height projecting bows with French windows, a gabled dormer and a small
c.1900 ridge stack. Earlier and lower bays further left have an entrance
and flush frame casements, some leaded. 1913 wing, originally to
accommodate servants and nurseries, now 2 flats, is to far left from
garden. Principal elevation faces away from rest of house. 4 windows
informally arranged, 2 and 3 light flush frame casements with leaded
panes, 3 large 2 light hipped dormers. Brick plinth, continuous tile
dripmould over ground floor. Entrance in a deep recess to right of
centre flanked by a massive brick stack and a water-cum-viewing tower.
Entrance recess is framed by stylized engaged columns in brick with
recessed pointing, tiled and dentilled capitals, inside decorative brick
flooring and a plank and muntin door. Extruded stack to right is very
tall with articulated brick shafts and bands, recessed pointing, tile
frieze with dentilled brick continuing from capital in entrance bay.
Tower to left projects slightly with similar brickwork, small paired
casements at 3 levels up to viewing stage which is corbelled out, an
open timber square with further projecting glazed sections to centre of
each side flanked by paired round arches. Deep eaves to concave pagoda
roof with a small open cupola above which rises a copper trumpet
spirelet with weathervane. To right of stack ground floor was originally
open as a 'stoep' with brick columniation as in entrance bay, paired
columns on return, decorative brick paving inside, now a garage and
partly enclosed. Ornamental rainwater goods with date 1913 and initials
'RNS/NRS'. Right bay rises to a half hip over an attic. On right return
above stoep is a full height shallow segmental 6 light bow window with
leaded lights, tilehanging, projecting half hip. Furthest bay to left
beyond tower has a lower ridge with a large external stack on gable end
of taller bays. Left return has 2 ground floor plank and muntin doors
with radiating tiled surrounds, attic light below a projecting half hip.
Inner returns to earlier block have 1 and 2 light casements, 2 light
dormers. Interior: some exposed framing in early range, close studding
and tension braces, jowled posts with arched braces, chamfered binding
beam. c.1900 wing has neo-Baroque and neo-Adam interiors: strapwork
plaster ceiling in vaulted passage, fireplace in a recessed arch with
framing pilasters, panelling, barley sugar rails, an Ionic screen with
segmental arches, plaster ceilings, Solomonic columns, panelled
staircase with vase balusters, Art Nouveau plates on doors. c.1913 wing
has simple interiors, window seat with cupboards in shallow bow window.
(J. Wilkerson, Two Ears of Barley, 1969: J. Wilkerson, Barley, an
English Village, 1979: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL3954438261
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings