This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.977 / 51°58'37"N
Longitude: -0.0482 / 0°2'53"W
OS Eastings: 534157
OS Northings: 232746
OS Grid: TL341327
Mapcode National: GBR K8N.0MT
Mapcode Global: VHGNQ.3KWS
Entry Name: Hyde Hall Farm House
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 29 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162386
Location: Sandon, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sandon
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandon
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SANDON HYDE HALL
TL 33 SW
7/63 Hyde Hall Farm House
9.6.52 (formerly listed as
House. C18 rebuilding of a larger house of c.1560 built for W. Hyde.
Stock brick with some early red brick and timber framing. Tiled roof.
Almost symmetrical 2:3:2 facade probably reflects earlier hall and cross
wings arrangement. 2 storeys. Ground floor: entrances in bays flanking
centre, that to left has a C20 doorcase with reeded pilasters and a
dentilled hood with a panelled door, that to right has a plain reveal
with a segmental head. To centre a large 5 light casement, 2 glazing bar
sashes to left in shallow reveals, to right 3 and 2 light casements, all
with segmental heads. First floor flush frame casements, leaded lights,
5 lights to centre, otherwise 2 lights. Internal stack at right end.
Left end hipped with a wing, possibly of early construction, extending
to rear with a slightly taller ridge. External stack on 2 bay left
return with a straight joint between bays, towards rear a ground floor
tripartite sash, first floor sash, flush frames. Right gable end is
English bond red brick, oversailing courses to steeply pitched gable. To
rear: wing to right has an internal end stack to gable end, an entrance
with an open timber porch. Gabled dormer in catslide roof over outshut
to inner elevation with a 2 light segmental headed casement. Some early
red brick to rear of main range, entrance to right, scattered casements,
lean-to outshut to centre. Projecting to left of centre a 2 storey and
attic gabled wing, 3 light casements, gauged brick flat arched heads on
ground floor, segmental heads on first floor and to 2 light attic case-
ment. (East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society
Transactions, 1905, vol.3, pt.1, p.36: VCH 1912: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3415732746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings