This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.751 / 51°45'3"N
Longitude: -0.3442 / 0°20'39"W
OS Eastings: 514395
OS Northings: 207106
OS Grid: TL143071
Mapcode National: GBR H89.3T4
Mapcode Global: VHFS7.Z8D1
Entry Name: The Abbey Gate
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163388
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Verulam
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abbey Parish of St Albans
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
1582 The Abey Gate
TL 1407 SW 8/96 8.5.50.
C14, 3-storey gatehouse of flint with freestone dressings, restored and
given its high pitched, tiled roof in C17. Roman bricks set at random
in walls. Archway of 2 storeys' height through centre is divided by
pier on north side and flanked by half-octagonal turrets on south side.
Battlemented parapet with brick coping in outer portions, renewed stone
coping in centre. 5 irregularly placed. One- and 2-light, leaded casement
windows with hoodmoulds, many renewed. Much repair work in brick on
north face. Inside, archway has lierne vault with octagon at centre.
1892 west extension in red brick and flint with tiled, pent roof.
The Abbey Gate and St Alban's School buildings form a group.
Listing NGR: TL1439507106
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings